Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I am working on EN-13445-3 Vessel d 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahroze Mustafa

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2019
PK
I am working on EN-13445-3 Vessel design. I am facing problems that how to obtain the allowable stresses of material at different temperatures of different materials such as P245GH etc. Is there any book available for materials just like ASME SEC II for materials.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, there is, but it organised in a different way compared to ASME. The tensile and yield values at temperatures are (usually) listed in the relevant product standards (or relevant technical material specifications, as EN 13345 calls them), such as EN 10222-x for forgings, EN 10028-x for plate, EN 10216-x/10217-x for seamless resp welded tubes, etc. The x denotes the relevant subpart. As an example for EN 10028;
EN 10028-2 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes ― Part 2: Non-alloy and alloy steels with specified elevated temperature properties
EN 10028-3 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes ― Part 3: Weldable fine grain steels, normalized
EN 10028-4 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes ― Part 4: Nickel alloy steels with specified low temperature properties
EN 10028-5 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes ― Part 5: Weldable fine grain steels, thermomechanically rolled
EN 10028-6 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes ― Part 6: Weldable fine grain steels, quenched and tempered
EN 10028-7 Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes ― Part 7: Stainless steels
Other product standards follow the same approach.

EN 13445 then tells you in the relevant sections how the allowable stresses are derived from the values in the product standards. Refer to table 6-1.

Im not familiar how this works with BS PD 5500 - o experience on that code. Do you own a copy of PD 5500? Have you looked into it?

Tool like PVElite & VVD dont tell you how allowable stress values are derived and determined. Use the code to find your answer - otherwise tools as PVElite and VVD are useless and potentially lethal.

/edt; I just found out where in PD5500 you can find your answer. Within less than a minute, just by looking at the TOC on page i.

I think PD 5500 is quite similar to EN 13445 but it is not harmonized standard. I wouuld reccomend you to use EN 13445 + EN 10028 wich are both harmonized.
Regards

CuMo, with all due respect, but in my humble opinion:
ET is seeing more n more users who come in with a quick question, only want an answer, then dont return at all. Quite oftne it seems theyre not even qualified for the work they do, given the questions they ask. All they want is us to provide them the answer. Such answers are very often relatively simple, but the route in getting there is more difficult -and that route is often much more valuable, and probably more important.
If they really need help, they should get a paid consultant. The intent of helping someone is not always providing them the answer, but sometimes pointing them in the right direction is the best (free) consultant work we can do here at ET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back