Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I & E range ASME IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZWelder

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2021
AU
Hello all and thanks for the forthcoming help once again.

My question is about amp and volt rang from what was recorded on the PQR to what goes into the WPS. I can not find any where in ASME IX where a set range is specified. I go to QW 256 (essential variables for GTAW)and I see a CHANGE in I & E is a non essential variable. I then get directed to QW409.8 and I read,

>> A change in the range of amperage, or except for SMAW, GTAW, or waveform controlled welding, a change in the range of voltage. A change in the range of electrode wire feed speed may be used as an alternative to amperage.

but what is the RANGE?

for instance if i record 80 amps and 10.4 volts of PRQ what is the rang? anythnig I want?

This PQR is for impact so I know that heat imput is essential and that the maximum recorded on PQR is the maximum alloed do if the root pass was recorded using 80 amps 10.5 volts and heat input of 1.2Kj/min. Then my WPS I & E range can be anything I want as long as the max heat input in 1.2Kj/min?

>>>So WPS can me 70-110 amps -- 9-12 volts -- 0.5-1.2Kj/min???

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good morning, the amperage / voltage range is not essential variable, if it has an impact, you only have to respect your maximum qualified heat-input.
PD. to know the heat-input in addition to amperage / voltage you must have the welding speed taken from the PQR.

You get to define the range based on what materials and thickness ranges that you are qualified to weld or within maximum heat input permitted for impact tested materials. You might qualify with a 1/8" diameter SMAW electrode but you may also want to use a larger diameter electrode with greater amps and slightly greater voltage depending on thickness and position to be welded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back