Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I beam Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

syence

Civil/Environmental
Mar 2, 2012
US

When is the Y-Axis section modulus used to calculate the bending stress in an I-beam? If the beam is conventionally loaded (simply supported , and load is imparted in the vertical direction on top of the flange), does bending occur about the "Y" or "X" direction? Subsequently, do you use the corresponding section modulus to calculate the stress?? Thank you for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Load applied parallel to the web, i.e. parallel to the Y axis produces moments about the X axis (major axis), so S[sub]x[/sub] should be used in determining stress at the extreme fiber. Load applied perpendicular to the web, i.e. parallel to the X axis, produces moments about the Y axis (minor axis) so S[sub]y[/sub] must be used in determining stress at the extreme fiber.

I agree with jsha811 that this is a very basic question and that you should thoroughly review the principles of beam theory before applying any of this to a real problem.

BA

Not the right forum for such a question.. unfortunately. But as I have already started a response, I'll attempt to help.

As someone said above, the section modulus axis is perpendicular to the loading direction.

Y-Y axis would be used on an I shape if it happened to be laid flat OR if it was subject to lateral loading such as wind or seismic,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back