Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Beam Maximum Load Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelHack

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2021
US
Trying to determine the maximum load capacity of an I Beam that is fully supported underneath the entire length of the beam (ie. trying to find out the maximum weight that the I beam will hold). Is there a table or are calculations required.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...are you trying to figure out what the thing supporting the beam continuously under its length can handle or at what point the web will buckle?

Trying to determine what the I beam can handle. The floor is good. What is the maximum load the I beam can handle before buckling? I want to support a 5,000 lb steel box with (2) I beams underneath it.

Before buckling? or before failure? Is the beam laterally braced to prevent buckling? Can you provide a sketch?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

A drawing always helps...

what size or dimensions of "I beam"? they come in many forms. How long are they? Only two or more? minimum depth?

More importantly are they any non vertical loads on this beam? Will the Box see any sideways loads?

Can you weld additional webs to the beam to increase it's resistance to bending and lateral collapse?

2.5 tonnes is not a massive load.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

If the box only weighs 5,000 lbs, just about any size I-Beam should work. What is the size of the box, length and width? How far above the floor do you want the box to sit?

Mike Lambert

What is the span and the dimensions of the metal box? and is the metal box rigid enough to provide lateral support for the beams? Is deflection an issue?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Pretty sure there's no beam here - he's talking about using a wide-flange (or maybe an S- or M- section?) to keep the box off the floor - maybe to let forks under it to pick it up? Sort of like a permanently attached pallet.

This would be considered non-standard and there's no tables. If you want to be thorough you can do calcs, or you can let the guy in shop build it and then change it if it gets dinged up.

Thanks pham... didn't think like a pallet support.

-Dik

I would think there are lots of skid fabrication companies that would be able to help and provide cost data/schedule as well. If for a bid project, you can probably get them to help with a performance specification that will minimize your efforts and reduce your risk while allowing the skid fabricators to do what they do best.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Thanks for all the replies! I ran some shear stress calcs on a few I Beams, I think I’m headed in the right direction. I’ll reach out if the project goes further. Thanks, again.

generally with W or I sections, shear is not normally a governing condition.

-Dik

A simple way to look at it would be to treat the web of the I-beam as a vertically loaded member and check for compressive strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back