Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I-beams from the 30's 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

weron4u

Structural
Jun 27, 2003
US
I'm working with I-beams from probably the 30's that have flanges of two completely different dimensions. One is thicker than the other and one is wider than the other. So I bought the AISC Book "Rehabilitation and Retrofit Guide" which supposedly has the properties of all the shapes from back to the late 1800's. However there are NO beams specified in the book that have two different flange dimensions, therefore I don't know the strength of the beam, its properties, or anything about the beam at all except its dimensions.

Can anyone tell me what the heck I'm dealing with, and how to obtain the properties I'm looking for? That would be awesome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a copy of Ketchum's "Structural Engineering Handbook" (Ketchem, Milo S; McGraw Hill Book Company; USA, 1924). I'm not that old, I happened to find it in a second-hand bookstore for just $2!

Ketchum's also doesn't have anything about beams with different flange dimensions. Are you sure it is a rolled section and not a fabricted section?

Regarding strength, Ketchum's has a section entitled "Standard Specifications for Structural Steel for Buildings of the American Society for Testing Materials (Adopted August 25, 1923; Revised 1921)", which provides the following information:
Structural Steel
Tensile strength 55,000-65,000 lb per sq in
Yield point (min) 0.5 tens. str.
Rivet Steel
Tensile strength 46,000-56,000 lb per sq in
Yield point (min) 0.5 tens. str.

Hope that helps.

weron4u,

You may find usefull some papers that I have (public domain), if you wish please give me further details so Ill can upload or email (7-8 MB):

Retrofit Historic 11-Story Building Using Demand Capacity Approach -complete doc- (SEAOC CONVENTION 1999);

Historical Structural Steelwork Handbook (BSCA England)

RGDS,

Fred
fkdconsul@hotmail.com

Weron4u - I may have found the sections that you are asking about. I have my uncle's "Carnegie Pocket Companion -1923".
The sections are refered to as "Cross Ties". There are five sizes listed, here is a summary:
M28A - Depth 6.50", Flanges 5" & 10"
M29 - Depth 5.50", Flanges 5" & 8"
M21 - Depth 5.50", Flanges 4.5" & 8"
M25 - Depth 4.25", Flanges 4" & 6"
M24 - Depth 3", Flanges 3" & 5"
If any of these are of interest I will be happy to post all the properties listed.

The"Bethlehem Manual of Steel Construction" (copyright 1934) does not mention these sections - must have been proprietary to Carnegie (later US Steel).

Thanks SlideRuleEra, but the beams in question have depths of 12" and 16" If you know of any properties of those beams, please let me know

thanks,
Weron4u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back