Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i can't move

Status
Not open for further replies.

koyote5

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2004
US
i have created a sub-assembly in which two parts are mated in such a ways where there is still movement along one axis. Upon importing this sub-assembly into a different assembly I lose this functionality. The sub-assembly can move but only as one complete unit. For clarification, the sub-assemblies in question are hydraulic cylinders which need to telescope up to their respective mounting points. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look in Help for Flexible Sub-assemblies for starters.

For cylinders, you may be better off with using 2 configs, Extended and Retracted. Or you can insert the cylinder body and cylinder piston into your assy as two components, then mate them to have the movement you need for design.

I do this from time to time, until the design questions are answered, then I create a new sub-assy with the body and piston.

[green]"But what... is it good for?"[/green]
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I have set this sub-assembly to flexible but it gives me this error:

hydraulic ram: Cannot have components with both rigid and flexible instances, or with multiple flexible instances. Please create new configurations for each flexible instance of this sub assembly.

could someone explain this in english.

i think the problem is that im using the same sub-assembly (the hydraulic ram) twice. In the design there are two of these parallel to each other. When I delete one the error goes away. SW apparently doesnt let me use two of the same sub-assembly simultaneously unless thier ridgid. Is there some setting that would allow me to bypass this?

I have tried this, but I am uncertain as to how to go about doing this. Every time I have tried this I have been unsuccessful.

What version of SWX are you using?

SWX 2005 does not require a seperate config for each instance of a flexible subassembly.

If using 2004 or earlier, you must create a different config for each instance of that flexible subassembly that you have in your top assembly.

(if you are on 2004 or earlier)

After you create the configs in the sub-ass'y, you must set each instance in the main ass'y to reference a different config. Right-click the sub and go to component properties.

As Arlin stated, 2005 thankfully did away with the need for this.

I have never had a need for flexible sub-assy's, but if it is still giving you errors, take your piston sub-assy and save it to a unique filename. (Be careful that it doesn't overwrite the new file into any existing docs that are open and referencing it!) Once you have 2 totally different sub-assys, they should not conflit w/ eachother

in the properties box it only gives me the option to use the default config even though i have created an second config in the config manager. I am still unclrear as to the true purpose of creating alternative config profiles and how this feature is properly implimented. The Help in Solidworks only gives a brief summary. For what purposes would I use this and which setting affect what?

In the properties box where you only see Default, is there a + in front of Default? If so, expand the + and see if your new config is under there. They show up like this if it is created as a derived config.

In SWx 2004 and earlier, a seperate config is needed for each instance becausse each instance may move independantly of each other. Even if yours is moving the same, the software does not know that. 2005 did away with that limitation.

For a discussion of configs in general, see thread559-106227

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back