Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-DEAS 9 2D Drawing Creation Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerwave3d

Military
Nov 5, 2003
US
We just upgraded from v7 to v9 and when I go to create a 2D drawing from my 3D assembly it creates a drawing of very poor quality. It breaks up a simple cylinder into a bunch of splines and just looks awful. Is there a setting for the 2D drawing creation? In v7, the 2D drawing was actually a 3D drawing to the effect that I was able to rotate the drawing and what not.
I also cannot open up a v7 drawing inside v9... Any suggestions?
Running this on an Octane 2.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In v7 you'd create a Drafting Setup first, which, as you said was a 3D drawing you could rotate. Once the drafting setup was created you should have then taken it through to detailing where the entities were "smashed" to 2D. Then dimensions, embelishments and text could be added easier.

After v8, drafting setup was dropped so you'd go straight to the 2D environment missing out the intermediary step.

If you've only created the drafting setups in v7 then I don't think you can open these in v9 but if you've created the detailing files then these should get migrated to Master Drafting files the first time they're opened in v9.

To get better quality lines in your views go to View Properties, go to HLP (Hidden Line Properties) in the centre bank of icons and change "Coarse Hidden" to "Precise Hidden". Then regenerate the view using the update icon.

Thanks man. The HLP setting was the key. We never get any documentation when we get upgrades and we always suffer through having to figure this stuff out.

You need to change the view options from coarse hidden to"precise hidden" and than update the view.
For a new drawing set "precise hidden" as defoult.

dear all,
My regular practice is to convert ideas 2d drawings into ACAD readable *.dxf format.
But by using above mentioned options also many times i have found that i am getting some odd or corrupted geometry in Autocad drawings.
Why it is happening?
Is there any external translators avialble in market which are supporting to IDEAS? which will solve the problem.

regards,
jo'

There is a AutoCAD DWG export fom I-DEAS which gives slightly better results than DXF when translating to AutoCAD. Have you not tried this one?

I'm not aware of any external translators that can translate Native I-DEAS data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back