Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-DEAS FEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulu1234

Automotive
Nov 11, 2002
GB
What are people's views on the FEM capabilities of I-DEAS in comparison to those offered by Unigraphics. I often use Unigraphics V18 but am interested in the capabilities of I-DEAS, as in future this may replace that offered in the Unigraphics package

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi zulu, I have been using IDEAS linear static stress solver for the past 1.5 years now. Unfortunately thats the only capability I have right now. So far, I did find IDEAS meshing pretty competitive, like Irwin said. But they do not have a capability to combine constraint sets, hence a combination of brick and tet elements is going to be a huge pain, if done in the context of a linear static contact analysis. It has some very good CAD capabilities as it is a complete CAE software, including drafting and assembly modules. As far as part analyses go, it does a decent job, but i have been quite unsatisfied as far as contact analyses go,thats because I'm using linear static solver. But still, the contact element formulation of IDEAS is not like those available in ABAQUS, where all the normals point in one direction, thats a major flaw. I have mostly been doing structural analyses, and not a lot of thermal or modal analyses, but we are definitely looking to replace IDEAS with ABAQUS. Hope that helps, Sunny.

To ZULU1234
I'm paitoon. there are a lot of good finite element analysis software. for your question about I-DEAS. i thing I-DEAS is the good software for finite element analysis. i used this software also. it include linear, nonlinear, durabilty and more... if you have question about I-DEAS you can mail to me. maybe i can help you about how to used and analyse by using I-DEAS.
paitoonabc@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back