Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-DEAS-like wireframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilay

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2004
PH
Hi,

I recently installed Solid Edge 'cause I-DEAS is sort of "dieing", but run into a problem. In I-DEAS I was used to make coplex wireframes, constrain them and create a section from the wireframe which manytimes didn't include all the curves. For instance, lets assume you want to make a slot. I would draw a rectangle and two tangential circles inside. Then using the 'Extrude' command I'd select the parts of the circles and lines I neede to create the slot contour and cut a solid.
Trying something similar with SE gives me an error, and I don't see a way around it. Is it possible to select the path from a sketch yourself to build a solid?

Thanx in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't have to select the bits of the sketch that you want.
For protrusions and cutouts SE can handle overlapping or disjoint profiles - provided each one is closed.
Try creating a sketch of a rectangle and put a circle on one corner.
Now extrude it and you will get the rectangular block and the cylinder 'unioned' together as a single solid.
So for your slot, create a rectangle a put a circle at the mid-point of each end.
You can't use multiple overlapping profiles for sweeps/lofts (unless things have changed in V16/V17)

beachcomber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back