Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-DEAS .pkg file in NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bankst

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2013
US
Is there a way / what would be the best way to import an I-DEAS .pkg file into NX?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Banks
EI
Application Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Export the data out of I-Deas as an XPK and then import the data into NX.

Do you have teamcenter? Do you have the CMM tool?

The best would be import the PAckage file into teamcenter. Then use the CMM tool to migrate that data to NX.

Tim,
We are an old I-deas shop and have thousands of I-deas package files archived on DVD.
I had to contact my VAR and sign a form to be able to download the free CMM software from GTAC.
I run this CMM software in solo mode even though I have Teamcenter. I do not want to automatically bring in the I-deas data into my Teamcenter database.
After running the package file through CMM solo it will generate UG files in a directory that you specified.
It works very well since it keeps drawings associated to the parts/assemblies. You can even have the UG parts contain the history of your I-Deas parts. You also still have your configurations etc. In CMM7.5 even your user defined attributes were maintained, it was broken in CMM8, there is a new CMM8.5 but I have not yet tried it. I then run UG in stand alone mode and view the translated data.
If absolutely necessary then I will bring the data into Teamcenter using Import Assembly into Teamcenter.
What I think is a good feature of the CMM software is that I can select a single part/assembly or drawing to convert and not have to bring in the entire package file. You also do not need to have I-deas installed.

Regards
Jurgen
NX8 Win7 64bit

You need to get in contact with your VAR. It is free and you can get it without training.
If you run CMM in solo mode then there is no training required.
I personally would not want my entire I-deas TDM brought over into TC.

Regards
Jurgen
NX8 Win7 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back