Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-deas visualizer doesn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerati

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2007
CL
Hi,

I'm having this problem, I can draw in design-master modeler, but I can't see the results on simulation, I press the "visualizer" button and the program exits, gone, crashed, byebye.

I thougth it was that I hadn't installed all the necessary components but I did!

I´ve got a collegue who has exactly the same components in which computer the "visualizer" has no problem.

Please help.

Pablo.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It could be that the visualizer cannot allocate enough memory. Try changing the visualizer options to large model or change the memory settings. What sometimes helps too is deleting the visualizer settings file in your home directory.

Hi,

Thanks, but truth is I don't know which file is the visualizer settings file, also I've read a lot about changing the memory settins too, which I believe you have to change them from "ideas_param11.dat" right?

I'd really appreciate you could help me claryfing this.

Thanks in advance,

Pablo.

depends there is a toggle in the param file that could be on automatic (windows only). If not on automatic then you can alter the memory settings from the gui.

I managed to find the line (inside "ideas_param11.dat")where you can deactivate automatic memory handling turning that value to zero and so it was possible to change the memory settings from the gui.

The std configuration was 450 mb.
I've got (1Gb + 128Mb) RAM and 64 Mb shared video memory

Five different values were there to change:

Dynamic allocation

application dinamic allocation 319.5 71%
display list 73.8 16.4%

Static allocation

application cache 28.4 6.3%
graphic cache 15.8 3.5%
FORTRAN Workspace 12.6 2.8%

Total 450.0 100%

I tried changing values leaving a total of 600 MB, but I didn't know in which proportion change them.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance......

Pablo.

Change the display list take it from application dynamic allocation. I am surprised that the shared video memory works with i-deas. I do not think there is certified workstation that uses shared video memory.

I solved it.

Under:

Right mouse button on desktop/properties/configuration/advanced/
problems solutioner/

downgrade "hardware acceleration"

I left it at the second from six. I usually worked at the sixth position (which is "complete hardware accel.")

The second is the only working position for me.

Thanks for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back