Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I did not write this letter... A simple challenge part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
In keeping with the ever-soaring electricity costs, the Albanese government is committed to ever-soaring increases in renewable power generation.

To meet election promises, they “must boost renewable energy to 82 per cent of supply by 2030” (“Labor already feeling heat over its emissions-reduction strategy”, 23/5). It might look a big ask, but we can easily demonstrate how successful such changes will be, using South Australia as a full-scale, real economy field test.

The SA Department of Energy and Mining proudly reports that the state has “transformed its energy system from 1 per cent to over 60 per cent renewable energy”. The rest comes either from gas locally or coal interstate. So, at 60 per cent renewable, SA is approaching the federal target of 82 per cent. If we were to cut SA’s electrical extension cord to the eastern states, and thus shut out the evils of coal-fired generation, SA would become the practical demonstration of the renewable outcome sought by Albanese.

Some might argue that cutting the electricity interconnectors would be an extreme step, allowing no latitude for routine outages, and they would be correct: there needs to be some back-up electricity transfer possible. And there are times when SA is exporting power.

So we must somehow remove the coal-fired component from any power entering SA. It would, however, be simple enough just to provide electricity to SA proportionate to that being generated by renewables only, with the contamination of coal generation thus removed pro rata.

But what if, against all expectations, the field trial failed, and SA were again to be plunged into that almost-forgotten powerless darkness of the past? Well, it’s only mendicant South Australia, and another submarine or two to build one day should sort that out.

Tim Fatchen, Mt Barker, SA

The Australian, Letters to the editor, May 27 2022

We can actually test this thought provoking experiment using current data, although of course the experts will dismiss it because it is only modelling. It would be more fun to do in real life. So, I'll trawl through the electricity data for SA and find out how renewable the SA grid really is.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

My two cents ...

There seems to be a lot of percentages, goals and top-executive level viewpoints in the piece ...

There also seems to be an arrogant attitude that a society can simply "swap out" XXX megawatts of coal fired power with XXX megawatts of renewable power .... much like you would simply "swap out" a flat tire on a disabled vehicle.

Where is the discussion of the massive issue of grid stability and new configurations of power distribution ?

(Oh, wait .... this is a minor issue that temp engineers and other low-lifes will have to deal with .... so, no big deal !!!)

Shouldn't that be the FIRST ISSUE discussed before non-technical people and dull-normal MBAs build more renewable castles in the sky ???

My opinion only

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

We, in righteous Ontario, have swapped our "evil" coal PP over to "good" NG. Whether it was good, bad, or indifferent, it was done, and the lights stayed on.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Not at all like Texas...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

I see a lot of 'proof' that the unobtainium of renewables will not work, but not much proof that it will. "We've got to do something" seems the motto.

MJCronin said:
Where is the discussion of the massive issue of grid stability and new configurations of power distribution ?

They're not interested.

They aren't interested...until the power goes out. In the meantime knock down the dams, stop burning fuels, and no nukes!

you'd've thought that Oz had plenty of real estate suitable for nukes (geologically stable, away from population centers). But I suspect these days that latter point won't be seen as a safety mitigation, but rather as an indigenous affront. And before anyone replies "sure, nukes are fine, so long as NIMBY; I have one about 1 mile from my house.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Here in the States we can use Yucca Mountain for that :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back