Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I HAVE A FORMULA FOR DIRECTLY GETTING THE AREA OF STEEL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedians

Civil/Environmental
Mar 8, 2001
EU
hello,
i want to know if there are no ACI Charts avaiable for getting the values of "row" or As ( area of steel ) then is there any direct formula for finding this if we have the Moment Mu or Ku avaiable in case of footing design. I have a formula but i want to confirm it with you guys please help me out :-

row = 1/m ( 1- under-root 1-ku/F) , here m = fy/0.85f'c and F= 0.3825f'c. is it correct to use this or is there any other formula for finding the area of steel and then spacing of the bars in case of foundation design

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A convenient rule of thumb is:

As = Mu/4d

where Mu is in k-ft units, d is in inches

This will usually get you within a few percent of the exact answer.

The formula that I've gotten accustom to using is below. See Wang and Salmon for further clarification...

m = (fy/(0.85*f'c)) and

Ru = Mu/(phi*b*d^2) and

Rho = (1/m)*(1-SQRT(1-((2*m*Ru)/fy)))

The rule of thumb is easy to derive. The equation for flexural strength of a singly-reinforced rectangular concrete beam is:

Mu = phi*Mn = phi*As*fy*(d-a/2)/12

now substitute these values:

phi = 0.9
fy = 60 ksi
(d-a/2) = 0.9d

Therefore, As = Mu/(4d). Like I said, it's just a rule-of-thumb. But it almost always is within a few percent of the exact answer if you just need a quick & dirty calculation for a reality check.

sadman,

taro's value of 0.9d is an APPROXIMATE value of (d-a/2) and is NOT exact - as he clearly stated. re-arranging it is based upon "a" not exceeding 0.2d - ie ku=0.2

this is a very common approximation, and is okay for sections that are not "over-reinforced" and hence they are ductile and the neutral axis depth (or parameter, ku) is small.

it also works fine for T-sections provided the NA is in the compression flange!

I have come across a formula in one of the Indian Technical Publications wherein you can find Ast directly if you Know
Mu= Moment of resistance in N-mm
Fck= Characteristic strength of concrete in N/MM2
Fy= Yield strength of Steel in N/mm2
b= width of section in mms
d= eff. depth in mms
than,

Ast=(0.5*fck*b*d/fy)*(1-sqrt(1-(4.6*Mu/(fck*b*d*d))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back