Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I have a need for a 1000kw electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Glus

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2021
US
I have a need for a 1000kw electrical generator, but I only have street pressure gas (4 to 7 inch wc). Are there generators that can have inlet pressures this low? I was thinking about adding a booster, but this is an emergency generator and the booster would not have power when initially called for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You realize that 1000kW is roughly 1300 Horse Power?
Have you considered propane and a large storage tank?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

My off the cuff thought is to consult with the gas company; tell them you will need about 12000 cubic feet per hour, and then decide if it makes more sense to obtain a diesel fueled set.

That set requires 100~400kPa of gas pressure, which the OP does not have.
(edit removed reference to the engine input pressure of 7~9 kPa)

A very rough figuring using indicates that your branch service pipe will need to be bigger than 8 inch to handle this flow.
I agree with the sentiment that your lowest cost path forward will be diesel. The gas company will likely need to run a high pressure service to somewhere close to your location, and may, depending on the tariff, ask you to share costs.

I got it to about 4 inch, but depends on velocity and actual pressure available.

Unlikely to be available within a domestic environment.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I suspect that our original poster has left and may have enrolled in a course of Simple Electrical Units 101.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Yes, its a bit of a conundrum. We cant use diesel because of community pressures. Understand that quantity is important, but we have a pretty large low pressure main nearby. We were talking to some mfrs and they said we should use a booster on a UPS. Has anyone taken this approach?

Do you really need a million Watts?
How often do you have a power failure?
The minimum monthly gas charge may be more than you realize.
I would consider a propane powered set.
You only pay for the gas that you use with no minimum monthly charge for infrastructure.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

And propane doesn't go bad as fast as Diesel does...

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

Is the street pressure really that low?

That sort of pressure is usually downstream if a meter in a domestic property.

What does the supplier say?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Peter Glus said:
...We cant use diesel because of community pressures...

Random thoughts follow-

I would not want to be in a position that relied on a UPS to allow use of "an emergency generator".

Your gas supplier may tell you that drawing 12000 cubic feet per hour with said booster pump will
not be possible due to infrastructure limitations.

When you need fuel resupply in the midst of an emergency, you can haul Diesel fuel with little more than
a truck and some 55 gallon drums. That doesn't work with propane.

I respectfully submit that you (or your client) reconsider allowing "community pressures" to
prevent use of a Diesel fueled set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back