Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a Pentium III 850Mhz with 76

Status
Not open for further replies.

packmen

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2001
BR
I have a Pentium III 850Mhz with 768Mb of ram and a Geoforce II MX 32Mb,I got the latest driver for my video card but the sketch lines desapear and sometimes my PC get slow. Does anyone know what to do?

Emerson Bottero

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

check the swapfile size and place.
I have a swapfile primary on drive C at 2Mb, then a secondary at drive D at 800 to 1200 Mb.
My machine runs NT, and had simmilar problems with slow movement, long thoughts before showing extrudes etc.
Changing swapfile size helped.
The C drive was then too clogged with programs to allow conveinient size swapfile. Morten K. Thillemann

Ooops sorry I only read half the question.

When working with SolidWorks, yes Virtual Memory is a critical thing... I reccomend 4x the size of your Physical Ram. Another thing that helps is if you can set up a logical partition devoted to nothing but swap...this helps your saved data from become fragamented so quickly.

Another thing to keep your s ystem sharp is to make sure and run "Unfrag" first which eliminates the Compound files that SW has created.... then Run Defrag. That helps keep disk performance up.

Your lines disappearing are definately a Vid card issue though, if you have the means, I would replace it with one the approved cards, I run a 32Mb FireGL1 with good results, and my other workstation has an Nvidia RIVA TNT2 32 Mb (my home workstation) and it has a few graphical annoyances. So it happens

Ciao
Jon

I increased the size of my swap and changed to SW 2001 plus
Now I don't have even graphic problems.

Thanks for the Help

Emerson
Curitiba
Brasil

For swap I think SolidWorks recommends 2x the memory for the min and 3x the memory for the max. I was told if you set it to large it may actually decrease the performance becuase of the large area it needs to search. I was also told not to have swap space on two differnet drives because now your system needs to search two differnt locations. BBJT CSWP

I have been told that if you have under 768MB of RAM you should set your virtual memory to 3X RAM for your Min and 4x RAM for your Max. If you have over 768MB then you don't really need to set your virtual memory because with 768+ of RAM should be able to hadnle what ever it is your doing.

I did some real Intense DT and in-contexting work at my last job. I had 768 MB of ram I NEVER used more than 512 at one time.

I hope this helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back