Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I have two big tanks of NaOH and H2

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomster

Chemical
Feb 4, 2019
PH
I have two big tanks of NaOH and H2SO4 for deminiralization of water for boiler purposes. Now the management wants to transfer the other tank to another place nearby. I want to propose that there will be no relocation of the tanks but I will create a partition. The two tanks(cylindrical) are in an open area. I want to hear your opinions and suggestion if this is feasible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,
by partition you mean a partition of the secondary containment basin so that the tanks are not placed in the same containment volume?

more details on the tanks needed

Size ("Big" is relative. big to me is 150,000 m3...)
Horizontal or vertical
What method are you thinking of?
Partition of one tank or segregation?

If they want to transfer a tank this implies it is quite small.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

What's the existing condition of the "open area" of two chemical storage tanks? is it a concrete pad with the chemical resistant coating?

The containment design requirement may be different for H2SO4 from NaOH. You may confirm the additional change needed if just wanted to add a partition between two tanks.

Yayyyyyy ! ...Pictures !!!!! And tank volumes !!!! ......My, my my !!!!.... An OP so generous in details !

How about a few dimensions !????!!! No more use of vague words like "over there" and "big" and "open area" !!!

A few notes and personal opinions on your design.

- I believe that you are elevating the tanks to enable gravity feed (dump) to the influent water. Are you trying to eliminate pumps and is this what you want ?

- Elevated tanks implies some type of pressurized tanker delivery of chemicals OR two dedicated fill pumps from grade.... Is this what your delivery is and is this you want ? Is this compatable with your design ?

- Please specify strengths of acid and caustic. Will you be storing the easy to handle 50% caustic ?(like everybody and their brother does)

- You may want to have washdown (potable) water available at the tank elevation. If the facility were to be built in the USA or the EU, a safety shower would be required at the tanker unloading level AND at the elevated tank platform. (
- In order to put fine control of water pH, many plants use metering pumps to precisely control the amounts of acid and caustic. If you intend to do this, there is no reason to elevate the tanks... IMHO

Tell us more about your design ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

One would think further description of the scope is necessary to understand what you are doing.

In general, elevation the tanks is a bad idea as it increases the risk of the chemical being sprayed on an employee.

10 cu. meter tanks are not considered to be big.

luffy13
I postulate for your needs NaOH will be <= 10w.t% & H2SO4 <= 8w.t% & both are at ambient temps? The former will pose no danger (occupational hazard) ...But the latter isn't something I will have in an elevated tank

How will the refill of the chemicals be handled?
New regs now forced trucks to pull into a drained and contained service area, with 100% recovery of all potential spilled liquids and fluids. They are forcing even cranes, LUFFs, forklifts, lighting trailers and temporary generators air compressors and oil pumps to be parked inside berms and on spill-proof surfaces.

So the new location will have to be positioned to consider fluid loading, fluid handling, and fluid unloading spills.
How will the two be separated to avoid chemical reactions? Or is that the reason for the separation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back