Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I know some out there use 3D Studio Max..therefore question !

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim01018

Industrial
Feb 21, 2005
GB
Hello all,

This question has a relative link to Pro-E as i could not import into studio max. However using the stl file and a min chord height my questions have been answered. I have now impressed most people with the ability to render in studio max.

Quesiton though, i know materials can be jpegs, can you import other jpegs into the materials folder and use themself succesfully ? I.e can i take a picture of a desk and use the image as a material ? I have tried to import some images i had from another program however i cannot seem to find these in the materials mapper. do you have to 'load' them into studio max ?? or can you just plonk them into the relative folder in windows ?

Thanks to all who helped me before. If nobodys really knows does anybody know a 3d Studio Max forum that i could badger with my questions ! ;-)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Open your Material Browser

2. Scroll down to Maps

3. Start on your Diffuse Colour

4. Click on Map

5. Add Bitmap (or JPEG in your case) from the materials map browser.

6. When you assign your material to your object the imported image (bitmap/jpeg) will not display in your view port. You will need to activate an icon that looks like a checkered box. It is found just under your material preview in your material editor.

7. Once you can see how the image is mapped onto object you can start to play around with its mapping (how and where it is placed). When you add your bitmap it will change the material properties to bitmap properties. You can change the coordinates of the mapping here & what type of mapping it is. To return to your material properties there is a scroll down box that is located just under your material preview & beside a box that says bitmap. Change this from map1 to 1-default. You can now add more maps to other material properties.

OK, thanks for that........

however i cannot seem to naviagte to the folder with my seperate pictures in , any ideas with this ?

all i can choose are the matlibs etc etc, how can i get it to choose a picture from my docs or similar ?

Do i need tro copy the picture into one of the folders on the c: drive with the other materials in ??

Any ideas ? Please help !

also forgot this bit !

how can you set up rooms ?? i.e i cant seem to find the area where you can set up rooms, i.e ceilings, walls, roof and how do you set up individual screens for these ??

where is it in the dropdown menus, any ideas ??

Cheers once again !

in the material editor you wil see
a list of bars these are like drop down menus

look something like this

+ shader basic parameters
+ blinn basic parameters
+ extended parameters

and so on

click the + on maps and you wil see a list of all the possible channels for that material

click the selected channel map it should say none

this will open the material map browser

second box on the left is a box called browse from

on the left of the following list ther are radio buttons
to select from

mtl library
mtl editor
active slot
selected
scene
new <----------- this is the one you want

two boxes below on the lh pane you will see

2d maps
3d maps
compositors etc

pick 2 d maps

in the right hand pane you will see a load of black empty icon sample boxes .jpd hdri bmp etc doouble click and browse for your file then map the material to your object

do this by simply dragging the material from the browser to the object face and adjust the uv coordinates

there isnt a simple room i dont think most folks set up an hdri environment or some form of gi room to place objects in search for rendering tutorials most use a sample you can download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back