Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I lost my first! Is this the end of the world? 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutiee

Electrical
May 30, 2008
GB
This is my first job, my first redundancy; I have never imagined I’d leave the company of being made redundant. We’re not picking up any work, over 1/3rd of people have to go, and more than ten people have already gone. In my department they only want to keep the manager, and everyone else has to go, fair enough, all clear and straight forward, but somehow I just can’t accept it. It happened all too quickly.

I have been looking for jobs (again) since I heard the news, I know it’s a good chance for me to finally move on, but so far I have got rejected by two companies and am still waiting for response from many others.

How should I look at myself now? A loser? Although In the past years I have got very good feedbacks from both my colleagues and clients regarding my work, my confidence is slowly ebbing away… I start to doubt my ability... After getting a good class MEng degree I thought I was worth something; now at age of 25 I’m unemployed!

Is there something wrong with my CV? Or my limited experience is holding me back? Or perhaps, I should change directions…?

Help me through the misery please…

x

P.S if a similar post already exist, please let me know and I shall close this one

Thanks

Cutie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing that worked for me. At an interview for a government job where there was a panel of I think 3 people, they were asking me questions. I finished answering one and they moved to the next, then it suddenly occured to me that I'd forgotten a really obvious answer to that question. Toward the end of the interview when they asked if I had any questions I said something like "not a question but I have another answer for that question about X earlier, Y is the obvious solution..."

They offered me the job and offered to match my pay scale in private industry which was a bit unusual for this place. I didn't take it as it was around the time I was looking to move to the States from the UK and things changed between interview and when I got the offer letter.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I know the thread has moved on, but I had one more thought about interview outfit.

I think I would advise against a dress (as opposed to a skirtsuit). Maybe it's different where you are, but from what I've seen of women's conferencewear (which is similar to interview-wear), the only people wearing dresses rather than suits are the administrative help. Not Looking Like The Secretary is one more thing that female engineers shouldn't have to think about but do.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Yeah, the jacket & skirt don't have to be the same cloth. Good point, Pat.

Figure, a boy applying for the job would have on a nice pair of slacks, and a jacket and tie, even if it's not a matching 2-piece suit.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

If a guy turned up for an interview for an engineer's position in the UK and wasn't wearing a suit then nine times out of ten he would not get the job because the interviewer has mentally marked him down before even speaking to him. If I bother to wear a suit to do an interview then I expect the damned candidate to make an effort. I have been sorely tempted to do an interview with a rolled-down boilersuit tied around my waist and a site jacket over my arm but have always resisted.

Different attitudes and expectations in different parts of the world. Probably different between industries too.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

We're business casual almost always, but we expect interviewees to dress up, even if we don't reciprocate. It just shows that the interviewee has a level a diligence where it counts.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks all, all suggestions are noted =]

I’m trying to look elegant, not sexy, and I hate going out the house feeling unattractive… that often decrease my confidence, doubt it will help with the interview?

Looks like it’s time for clothes shopping (again!)

I agree with you there, KENAT hehe.

Yes, ScottyUK, smile :) that’s one thing I can’t stop doing, because I have a great one =]
This new position has nothing to do with my old job; will they still be interested to see examples of my work?

Good idea Pat, but not sure about the jacket… it’s surprisingly hot where I am (UK)

Cutie

‘Not looking like the Secretary is one more thing that female engineers shouldn't have to think about but do’

How does a secretary look? How should a female engineer look? I guess it’s all about personal preference?

Cutie

We call them Executive Assistants, over here...

EAs used to have the unwritten requirement of looking like they were clothing models. And, in one case, Nadine (the one that got away), she was actually moonlighting as a model.

Dress will really be dictated by the company, its location, and its people. I think you'll need to stay on the conservative side for a couple of weeks, until you get a good feel for who's who, and why they dress the way they do. As mentioned above, we're business casual, so we have everything from t-shirt/jeans to basically interview wear, sans the jacket. Partywear and beachwear are almost never seen.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Hot? In Aberdeen? Wow - global warming is for real! [lol]

I went to an interview for a power station engineering job with a few examples of stuff I worked on in a hybrid microelectronics plant and some photos of a wind tunnel fan drive I'd been fighting a losing battle with for months: yes, they'll be interested in your work and if it's something they aren't intimately familiar with then you can sound like an expert. [smile] You are really trying to convince them that you have high standards of workmanship and that you have a good understanding of the engineering principles which underpin any job. Explaining something clearly to someone who is unfamiliar with it is a great way to show that understanding.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I don't think it ever gets too hot for a jacket at an interview in the UK.

Now out in the desert where I live (at least at weekends) then even I struggle to force my self into a jacket when its 115F. But still dress pants, maybe (just maybe) a short sleeved shirt and definitely tie.

Of course this is a bit perverse. It might be very hot here outside but chances are both building and car are air conditioned, so really no excuse on the jacket, even if one only puts it on as you walk into reception.

On the other hand, in the Uk if it's hot outside then except in larger office buildings, it's probably hotter inside.

Oh well.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

25 August now - "The" interview is apparently over. At least, THIS particular interview is over.

A few thoughts, figuring that some other readers might add, or correct, or maybe even apply these ideas:

1) You're full-time job - AT PRESENT - is job hunting. Discipline your OWN self to maintain a 40-50 hour "work-week" actively looking for work AND networking. NEVER, ever, ever, evr, be :ashamed" to ask ANYBODY you are talking to about the fact that you're looking for electrical and electrical engineering work. For example, the cashier you're talking to maay know a cable company who needs a wiring tech for a apartment complex for three weeks. Fine - It's in your field also. "I ran cables in new construction for one summer. Never want to do that again, but I learned a lot about field problems and bad connections."

2) Don't restrict yourself: Allow your search to include

a) part-time (less than 40.0 hours/week) positions;

b) contract positions (added deliberately as short-term positions to fill an urgent need. Last in, first out, but you often find that you're switched around in the office filling in different places for much longer than the first, original problem slot. Also, explaining why you "left" a contract job is easy "The contract ended successfully."

c) temporary positions Sometimes these are even as a sub-contract agency to an out-of-city position. Even more temporary than the "contract position" because you're expected to be there only a few weeks or months. Good resume enhancement because you get to list many different problems that you've faced.

If you are signed on to a temporary agency, THEY have to sell your body to a client or THEY won't get paid. That adds a few more people trying to sell your body to the world.

3) Be yourself. The company you are interviewing has to sell THEM to YOU as well. Make sure the two or three interviewers convince YOU that YOU want to work for THEM. Don't get cocky, but they have to sell themselves - maybe 1/4 as much as you have to sell yourself to them that you will be worth your future salary.

4) Don't be nervous. If I could (successfully) interview Admiral Rickover wearing cowboy boots - it's a long story - you can do anything.

5) Once you have them sold, DON'T sell yourself short. Request a (slightly) higher pay than you'd expect - but research FIRST. Your next six pay raises are much garder to get than that first step up as your starting salary.

By the way, you don't need to be discussing dollars until AFTER you have sold them on your worth. Once they start discussing dollar seriously - and it might be at your second or third interview, you can assume you have done the selling. You're now the buyer, and THEY are trying to get YOU to buy their product (their business) in exchange for your time and talent.

This interview is over! I’m so glad it’s over, it was a total torture!

When I couldn’t find my house key before leaving the house, I should have known that everything would go wrong on that day…

(I wore suit)

Three people interviewed me, two technical guys, and one director. The director was very rude! He asked me a question, when I was explaining to him; instead of looking at me, he was cleaning his glasses with his tie the whole time!

When the product manager tried to explain their products to me. He was staring at the table! (Hello, are you talking to the table???)

That’s only the start of the interview, and my confidence was shattered. I felt very uncomfortable and I was really nervous.

Then they asked me technical questions (i was expecting them to ask me to explain a circuit, filter, op-amp, or VHDL, but they were asking me to design stuff to do this and that) for an hour long, I couldn’t answer. I did spend days revise to cover what they mentioned in their job spec and competency based interview questions, because I was told it’s a competency based interview (which is not the case).

The questions asked were totally different from job spec; I must admit some of the stuff they asked I have done in uni. But after all, I spent last two years doing totally different things. I just can’t remember everything I did in uni. I feel it’s really unfair, and I was angry at myself too. And the director didn’t help by eating food and typing stuff (not relevant to this interview) on his computer at the meantime…

The director also asked me if I can do programming and software and admitted to me, he was looking for someone who’s highly experienced in o&g industry as well as design of their products. So I thought ‘why you wanted to interview me? You saw my CV!’ (and I didn't lie on my CV at all!)

The director also complained to me that he had interviewed 5 people but couldn’t find a good applicant in the southwest, if he had advertised in Aberdeen, he could find better candidate… (Yeah, right, what a good way to tell me I have failed…)

I felt humiliated and embarrassed the whole time. I don’t know how I remained smiling till the end; I really just wanted to walk out…

Later the company called my agency saying they thought I was ‘bright individual’, ‘very impressed by me’, ‘excellent interpersonal skills’, and ‘the interview is worthwhile’. But it’s a no (like I expected). Well, it’s good for me too; I really don’t want to work for a director who is rude, inconsiderate and thinks he is better than everyone else!

-----------------------------

I feel really bad about myself ever since the interview. I wish I had never gone to it… if I hadn’t at least I would still have the confidence to look for jobs.

Cutie

Stay positive. Always tell yourself: "Someone is going to win this. Why not me?"

Stay cheerful and unflappable. Be prepared for upsetting events at every interview. Usually the interviewers are watching your reactions. Be ready for upsetting occurences and be more ready to take them cheerfully.

If during the interview, you become convinced that a job is not for you, there is nothing wrong with politely stating, that it has become apparent the job is not quite what you expected and you don't don't see any point in to continuing to waste everyones time.

It can be counterproductive to accept a job where you know you will be unhappy.

If you really are very attractive, the guys may have been diverting their gaze so as not to appear to be learing.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Cutiee, you need to grow a tougher skin. You had a bad interview, get over it. When I first moved out to the states and couldn't find Engineering Work I started applying elsewhere, being rejected from Grocery Stores and the like aint exactly a confidence booster but I needed a job so kept looking. When I finally did get an engineering interview it ended up a bit like yours, and they'd built my hopes up by their CFO calling me on the weekend to try and get me to interview. However, you can't give up, I did eventually get the interview for my current job which while not perfect, pays the bills.

So chin up, and keep trying.

KENAT,

For my first job I interviewed for two positions at the same company. The first was a design engineering position doing a new design for the bow of the Virginia class submarines, as far as a mechanical job goes it doesn't get better. The other was a paper jockey position, filing test forms and the like. I had the good interview first, it went very well and I got that job. When I was brought down to the second supervisor I simply told him that I have no interest in the position he was offering and that I had come down for the other position. After a quick review of my resume he agreed I would not be happy, thanked me for my honesty, blamed HR for being overpaid considering their lack of basic inteligence, took me for an awsome tour of the shop and finaly brought me to luch.

The key was being honest. Keep your chin up, your chance will come, you are just gonna have to kiss alot of frogs to find your perverbial prince.

there are ignorant plonkers everywhere, unfortunatly some of them get to positions of power like directors of companies. Don't worry about it, its not you.

Cutiee:

Those clowns obviously don't deserve you. You can do better than working for a bunch of arrogant twits who set you up to squirm.

I was asked during a job interview once if I knew the molecular weight of sulfuric acid. I added the numbers up in my head but maybe missed on arithmetic or something...I was off by "2". On that basis, I was told that I was lacking in technical competence and probably overpaid relative to my position.

A couple of years later, that interviewer applied for a job where I was working, and someone asked me what I thought about him. On the basis of my answer, he wasn't hired, and I continued to be technically incompetent and overpaid where I was at, and where I remain to the present day.

What goes around comes around.

I still don't know the molecular weight of sulfuric acid off the top of my head, but I know where to find a periodic table when I need it.

Trust me...you didn't need to work for dopes like this. Consider yourself lucky and move on.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back