i m confused on how to start design valves on material selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kishoredevadoss9704

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2015
IN
Hello
I m currently working has design engineer past a year in valves manufacturing company I m getting confused about material selection I mean how to select material and temperature regarding to applications. help me get out from thz.

has im starting my carrier here let me suggest wat and all standars wil go through .
thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First thanks for replay sir,
Knife gate valve,tilting dosx check valve,swing check valve,psgv,gate valves .
I m currently handling
Tilting disc check valve I want to know its applications and its material selection.

Normal practice (Piping) is for the purchaser to specify type of valve based on their own or clients standards/preferences e.g. ball, gate or butterfly for block valves and they will also specify body and trim material based on intended service and characteristics of this service which in most sizeable projects will be defined in Piping Material Specifications. The purchaser will also specify design and testing standards which valve will have to meet and this may be in format of long description or preferably valve data sheet.

For basic description of piping valves try (world of piping) and select valves.

and for tilting disc try

If you are designing for a specific project, a good rule of thumb is to check to see what material the associated piping is made from. If the piping is carbon steel, then your valve can likely be carbon steel as well. If the piping is stainless steel...then your valve may have to be stainless as well. Duplex stainless will push you to duplex. Low-temperature materials will push you to low-temp materials...high-temp to high-temp, etc. Check the end-user piping classifications, and look for the valve codes, they will provide a lot of information.

If the piping class is carbon steel, and for corrosion resistance reasons you select a stainless steel, you need to pay attention to the pressure ratings. ASME B16.5 defines pressure ratings for flanges, and ASME B16.34 defines same for valves. If you are providing a flanged end, stainless steel valve, in a carbon steel piping system, your valve will not have the same pressure rating as the carbon steel piping system.

If you are deigning commodity products for distribution inventory, the principle is the same, except you must take assumptions on what the piping materials will be.

Valvit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back