Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

torr73

Industrial
Jan 1, 2007
CA
I'm an Industrial Engineer and planned on pursuing it as a career here in Canada.I have a two-year working experience at a manufacturing company in Taiwan. But I don't know about my chances of getting a job in this field.I have no problems with communication as I can speak English fluently. But I think I need more exposure. Do you think there are a lot of companies who would take me in given my limited experience?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Given the assortment of Alleged Manufacturing En-jin-ears with whom I have tangled, you'd have no trouble getting a job in the US. Of course, here in SoFla, English is not enough; you need to also speak Spanish, to communicate with the workforce. I don't, and that limits my opportunities somewhat.

Your chances are probably better in areas where you share a language with the people doing the work.

As for experience, I'd say you're in a good position. Most outfits here won't take on anyone with zero experience, and won't _pay_ for more than two years' experience.

So, go ahead and highlight your experience on your resume, with bullet points for missions accomplished, and all that rot. The fact that the experience happened outside Canada is not really relevant, so don't treat it like an issue.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hello

I am an Industrial Engineer too from India I came to Canada in 2004 with an 6 yrs experience in manufacturing but when I came to canada no one accept my experience everyone ask for canadian experience. I work for 2yrs as machine operator and by the time I had given my education certificates for assessment. After 2 yrs of hard working as operator I got chance in my same company where I was working in India and got hired as Project Engineer. So I give you advice to get more experience or get higher education from Canada. Or If you agree my advice If you are earning good money in your country then dont come.

Hi,
Thanks, bikswhala for your tips. I had my education certificates assessed here in canada and i'm waiting for the result. i'm going to apply when i have the assessment. I'd like to give it a try before planning on something else.

bikswahla,
In addition to academic records, you must improve your communication skills and your language. While you my get away in India with some luck,but overseas you certainly need to improve your English,before you seek better opportunities.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back