Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need an estimate for the polar moment of inertia

Status
Not open for further replies.

wz07bw

Automotive
Feb 14, 2006
US
Folks,

I need to estimate the pitch moment of inertia of a vehicle for Vehicle Sim.

I have the corner weights as well as track and wheelbase. My first thought was to treat the vehicle as a dumbell with two different size masses.

The pitch moment would be the sum of the mr2 with r being the distance between the cg and the front and rear axles respectively.

Any ideas.

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's not a bad approach, rule of thumb is that it is the same as the yaw inertia, or a bit less, and the NHTSA publishes a list. Sorry haven't got the link.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

The corner weights and track wheelbase are not enough to determine pitch moment. E.g. a mid engined car might have a far lower pitch moment for the same corner weights than a front or rear engined car.

Pete.

Thanks everyone. I fully understand that I don't have enough to determine the polar moment. I was hoping someone had a good rule of thumb.

I do have the NHTSA paper with their data and some of it seems a little off with respect to weights.

Thanks anyway.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back