Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I need some help indentifying this piece of equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGates

Civil/Environmental
Mar 5, 2012
US
I work for a small Geotechnical and Construction Materials Testing company. We just obtained this piece of equipment in an acquisition of another firm. The tips in the second picture seem close to Dynamic Cone Penetrometers, per ASTM STP-399, but I have no idea the function of the double gauges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It appears to be an older cone penetrometer, commonly called a "Dutch Cone" similar to ones we used in the 70's and 80's. The two gauges are for different penetration resistances.

Also...against forum rules to double/cross post. I have Red Flagged your other post for removal.

I confirm that this is a reading unit coming from a static penetrometer. Can be a Gouda since I almost read "Goudsche...." on the gauge picture.
This equipment is still in use in Europe where SPT is not used at all.

Yes, the pictures show an older "Dutch Cone" or "Mechanical Cone".
These tools were used for soils investigations before the introduction of the electronic cone.
The gauges were used for measuring how much pressure was required to seperately push the tip unit and the friction sleeve into the soils.
Detailed notes, a system of inner rods and an extremely patient and skilled driller were needed in order to collect soils data.
In the day, this was cutting edge equipment, but I don't think many people (if any) use it any more.

Coneboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back