Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I suspect that the people who first envisioned the idea of 3D Printing NEVER had this use in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, it could be something like Dr. Stancil Johnson, California Psychiatrist, who is the world's recognized authority on the Frisbee who has left instructions in his will that he be cremated and that his ashes are to be mixed with plastic and used to injection mold a set of custom 'Pro Model' Frisbees which are to be presented to family and friends.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The color looks like it comes from either painting or dye sublimation... it's possible to get it form multiple plastics, but the machine has to be REALLY good during color changes to ensure there's no separation at the boundaries.

Dan - Owner
URL]

That's what I was thinking.. It would be much more cost effective to have someone hand paint these things instead of doing it in-process. On the other-hand that isn't going to be very durable like the classic glazed pottery that lasts eons.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Ummm
I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

"You Can Now Customize Your Loved One's _______ With A 3D Printer"

Fill in the blank.
Or not.
Sorry

STF

@SparWeb

I think that's already being done. Well. What I assumed the blank is, anyways. :) The problem is finding materials of appropriate sanitation for prolonged/repeat use.

And I'm pretty sure that's always the 1st, or at least 2nd, thing the internet tries to apply any technology for. "Oh, this is something new and interesting. Now... how can I use it to make me _____ better?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back