Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I Think I'm finally done

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdas04

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
US
I installed Windows 10 last week. I've clicked on Mathcad 14 a couple of times and got nothing. No error. No pop up. Nothing. When I go into file manager and click on the .exe I get "The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect". Then I ran the uninstall and got about a dozen "failed to de-register" messages. Then I tried to do a clean install and got the same files marked "failed to register" and then nothing.

At PTC you can't even search their knowledge base without a maintenance licence.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this whole thing so I looked for a way to upgrade to MathCAD 15. No joy even finding that on PTC's pretty (bu worthless) site. I sent sales an e-mail, but the way the rest of this process has gone I don't have very high hopes.

Does anyone know of alternate software that can read my several hundred MathCad files and deals competently with units?

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mathcad 15 is not sold standalone by PTC anymore; it comes with Mathcad Prime.

As for reinstalling M14, you'd probably need to go into the registry and manually delete anything related to Mathcad. This was a favorite fallback for Mathcad 13 and earlier.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529

Not sure about how to reinstall, but if you are able to, there is a "Compatibility" tab in the properties window for programs in windows 10. If you are able to get it reinstalled, maybe try experimenting with the different compatibility modes: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2, Windows Vista SP1, & Windows Vista.

I still use Mathcad 13 in a WinXP virtual machine. Mathsoft screwed up the symbolic solver in Mathcad 14 so I never upgraded. Sometimes my cdilla key gets corrupted. I can't auto license anymore because the licensing server has changed so I just re-load my VM-backup. I keep my WinXP VM around only to do Mathcad now. Everything else has migrated to Windows 10. I will probably be using my WinXP VM for years to come.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems

I did the same thing, however, my computer saw the router no longer and Mathcad didn't work. So I uninstalled Windows 10 and went back to Windows 7. Windows did the reverse pretty much automatically - no problems since.

Deleting every reference to Mathcad in the registry is scary (and tedious as hell). Tried to run the setup in compatability mode after I cleaned up the registry and it gave me the same error (failed to register any of the executables). I finally got to talk (via chat) to someone at PTC who said that a sales person would contact me momentarily. I guess that means "in the next few days or weeks". I do have my old XP computer that works, so if all else fails I'll use it as a super calculator. That is only viable in my office though, in hotels it would be a train wreck to find enough flat surfaces and plugs for two computers.

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back