Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i transfer ducts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2007
US
i am adding transfer ducts w/1 inch soundlining over full height partitions ,most are only 12 inches long .whats the s/l doing for me ,,i've been showing this way for yrs and never thought about it

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If its strictly to connect one plenum ceiling to another, I would say that the lining is doing nothing. If it's hard ducted from a return grille in one occupied space to another, then I could see the benefit. If it's just drywall partition with no insualtion, you are probably transferring more sound through the wall anyway.

Typically I would make a transfer duct out of an elbow or a 'Z', not a straight piece. The lining will absorb high frequency noise (e.g. talking). One other piece of advice is to watch where the return grilles are, if they are just on the other side of the wall from each other with a transfer above them you can clearly hear between rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back