Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Wall design guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxPE

Civil/Environmental
Dec 26, 2002
US
I have plenty of information about inverted T wall design for cantilever retaining and/or flood walls but I need design guidelines for I-walls. Any suggested sources?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand Correctly the I wall is a retaining wall and it is not like an inverted T and L above the top, the procedure of designing The I wall if any loads above is to determine the moment at the top of the stem, then continuing the analisis not transfaring moments from the base to the top wing, the stability of thiswall remains the same
Sum (H) =< Sum (V)*tg(2/3 Fi) (sliding stability)
Sum (Mo) =< Sum (V)*x (overturn stability)
wheres Sum (H) is the sum of horizntal Soil load
Sum V is the sum of all the vertical loads
x is arm between O (the point of turning) and fixing load
Mo is the sum of the adverse loads
Note that some vertical Loads in this case might be Adverse
Note that the soil under the top stem will not bare the soil weight above
I hope I could help, Try to mail me a drawing to understand the problem more sido_r@ureach.com

A guide for I-wall design is EM 1110-2-2504. This is a Corps of Engineeris manual that we use to design all I-walls in the New Orleans area. Another reference would be Virginia Tech's manual called &quot;An Engineering Manual for Sheet Pile Walls&quot;. Also the Pile Buck manual or the US Steel Manual is good. A good computer program is CWALSHT.

For I-wall design, incorporate a factor of safety into your soil parameters, develop the active and passive pressure diagrams on each side of the wall (include any water pressures also). Determine the net pressure diagram based on the failure mode of the wall. Use statics to find the inflection point, and then the tip elevation. Then determine the max moment as if it were a cantilever beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back