Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I want to get more knowledge about PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aungpru

Electrical
Sep 14, 2006
MM
I learnt PLC at Goverment Technological College Yangon. Now I got Bachelor Degree. I want to learn more about PLC.I want to know how can I do for my knowledge.
Thank for all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hiya-

I have an open source PLC design site (i.e. Free).

It uses the PIC microcontrollers for use. It requires
a PERL (free) interpreter to run. It takes another
open source project which has the gui interface for the
ladder logic, then you run it through this large perl
script that I've developed, which outputs pretty readable
PIC assembler code. You then run the assembler code through
the standard microchip tools and you can simulate the
operation using their MPLAB simulator (it's also free)
and, more importantly, you can actually program a PIC
microcontroller and have the real PLC to play with.

The whole toolchain is either open source (free) or
commercial (free) software. The only cost is for a
programmer for the PIC microcontroller and a couple of
dollars for the PIC microcontroller itself.

It's at the "alpha" to "beta" stage of development.

You can review it at it's temporary home at:

if you are interested.

Cheers,

Rich S.

INFO : Siemence STEP7 programm has a built in PLC simulator to test the programm . A bit Preliminery knowledge is essential,But is usefull for learners who dont have PLC acces.

First, PLC is a deterministic processor. It is not a language. Many people think that PLCs run only Ladder Logic which isn't even close to true. They think this because the mechatronics class at their university uses the cheapest PLC they can get donated to them and they program it with the cheapest (free) software the company will offer. That almost always means ladder logic with no HMI.

If you want to know what products are out there, download the product catalogs from Allen-Bradley, Siemens, B&R Automation, and maybe Danaher but they mainly are for motors. Trio is also big for the simpler motion projects. When you know what is out there you pretty much know what they can do.

If you want to learn to program them, you simply have to know Structured Text or ANSI C then each brand will have a set of libraries to do things like PID control or Trending. HMI construction will be similar to Visual Studio. You can learn ladder if you want, but it's a waste of time. No major brand makes a product that will only run on ladder and ladder is just to simplistic to do a real project.

My experiences suggest that the best way to learn about PLC's is to interact with them at the problem solving level (get an apprenticeship). While amounts of reading will help it is the practical functioning of the processors which will bring you closer to ubderstanding the PLC and the processes they control. After you would have grasp the basic troubleshooting areas and functions, you will be challenged to try some simple designs.

Wgn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back