Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I want to pursue my Engineering, i really need some advise and help. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hepa99

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2009
US
I have mechanical engineering license in my home country with almost 3years experience in HVAC design and 5years experience of Project Management (Clean Room Construction).

After getting my work permit here in USA, i worked in a construction company, doing multiple apartment, as a project staff (doing some paperworks/autocad/etc.)

Language barrier really killing me and my confidence is very low right now.

I want to pursue my career as a Mechanical Engineer, can you please help me or give me some advise where should i start.

thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're written English is decent, but not perfect. It looks like you have a good command of grammar, spelling and punctuation.

If you speak like you write I suggest you don't worry about the language thing too much. If not, practice, practice, practice.

There is a language and grammar forum here. forum1010

When interviewing, minor language errors will be forgiven if you can clearly communicate that you have skill and knowledge.

It's not clear if you are currently working for the construction company. You used the past tense "worked", which means that you aren't.

If you are, it is possible that you will come into contact with the project engineers. Get to know them.

Join your local chapter of ASHRAE. Go to the meetings.

Since you do feel that you have some difficulty, you should think about taking a class, or joining Toastmasters, depending on what specific issues you wish to deal with.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

i do appreciate your reply guys. i'm really working hard to improve that "communication barrier" problem that i have.

anyway i have more question to help me pursue my mechanical engineering carreer here in USA.

1> to all engineer who completed their bsme course in other countries (ex. asia), how many more year/s i need to take classes if i will get the EIT exam? i finished my bsme courses in my country and based on the information that i got i need to take 2more years (?) to complete bsme course here in USA. can you please share your experience.

2> i really love working in hvac field (design/construct), is it worth it to pursue my bsme and take EIT exam after finishing my bsme course here in USA?...or just look for a job (don't waste time) without any EIT (or PE) license? btw, i'm 34yrs old with almost 10yrs experience in hvac work (both design and project management) from japanese firm.

3> what's the best (cheapest) online school that you will recommend for the student like me who completed bsme course from the other country?

appreciate your reply.

Since you have a mechanical engineering license in your home country with almost three years experience in HVAC design and with five years experience in Project Management, I think you could get a job of some kind in an engineering organization right now. If you need to get another BSME and pass the EIT fine but, in my opinion, time is passing, you're getting older and you are not doing what you want. Get a job and get started doing what nurtures you as soon as possible; don't spend twenty years in preparation. Now you have my two cents.

I understand the problems you are having with the language barrier in the USA. Being british and having spoken english all my life (albeit with a northern accent), I found that americans were unable to understand a word I said, and those that did presumed I must be australian. If you're from Scotland or Wales then it's a lost cause and you'll just have to write things down for them, or do as most british do when faced with a johnny furregner - point and talk louder.

corus

You just have to learn 'murcan. I have tried shouting the Queen's English at them before and got(ten) nowhere.

But more seriously, we have people in our American offices from all sorts of places. Their written English is way better than their spoken, which is great in these days of email communication.

- Steve

My`father had a bachelor's degree when he first applied for immigration (from Germany)and was denied 3 times. When he got his doctorate, the door swung open wide and the breeze blew him in.

As far as English goes, practice practice PRACTICE daily every day seven days a week. Speak, write, correspond, watch movies, translate your favorite songs and sing them. Seek out English-speaking friends.

Good luck.

thanks for the reply.

hopefully somebody can answer my 3 question above.

re: communication barrier i've been practicing american "accent" a lot on my job since i'm directly coordinating with a lots of subs on my work.

Some states have exemptions that allow one to take PE without FE (= EIT). The hard part will be getting your credentials and references approved.

Perhaps you could spend time as a "virtual Canadian"? That, or Australia.

guys, thank you for the advise re: my english problem....lets move on, i know i have to practice more to improve my english and my accent.

regarding PE license, i'm leaving now here at upstate NY, anybody knows or have experience how state of NY will treat my case?
i have 10years working experience in japanese firm (2years as site supervisor, 3years as HVAC designer, 5years as Project Management). Now i'm working as project staff doing multiple apartment here in NY.

thanks!

It is likely that your Japanese BSME will be accepted as equivalent to a US degree. You'll probably need to provide transcripts of your grades and translated copies of your degree and course descriptions.

Probably some other hoops to jump through as well, but I doubt that you'll need to take any further classes.

Getting credit for your work experience in Japan may be more difficult.

mintjulep,
sorry to confuse you. i graduated and passed BSME license examination in the phils. (not in japan). I'am license mechanical engineer in my country.

I worked at japanese firm (manage and supervise by Japanese) in our country for almost 10years.

Currently, i'm working in USA (NY) for more than a year now but not as mechanical engineer.

GO to the NY webpage and check it out. OR see NCEES.ORG for a list of state websites.

NY has never been too foreign (and I mean state to state) PE friendly - I think they want to keep it in the family.... if you know what I mean.

But if that doesn't work - try a nearby state and you have a lot of them that may be more acommodating..

Good Luck

miketheengineer,
in our country if you passed the board examination for BSME, you are licensed as Mech. Engr. (without state or city limits)

if i choose other state (for example Connecticut) and passed the PE exam (or whatever), can i use my PE license in NY?

sorry for this question.

hepa, look up the licensing board for the relevant state, in your Case New York by the looks of it.
When I moved to CA from the UK I looked at the whole EIT/Licensing thing. Being from aerospace there wasn't a directly relevant PE, for you this isn't an issue.

The CA regs states that only US and Canadian degrees are accepted from what I recall. Also while there is an option to take the EIT (or was it PE, can't recal) based on experience in lieu of degree the experience had to be under a PE from what I remember. Also certain activities such as time spent drafting didn't even count toward licensing which arguably negated some of the experience I did have. Given that I anticipate working in the 'exempt' sector for the forseeable future I put the whole EIT/PE thing on the back burner.

For you though, getting PE is probably more significant as your industry isn't 'exempt' so I'd give the licensing body a call once you've read their regulations and ask exactly what you'd need to do. Just because they don't directly accept your degree doesn't mean you won't get some credit for it.

People here can give a lot of advice based on their experience but at the end of the day I'd read your state regs, try and work out where you stand and then contact the licensing board directly.

Even without a licence you should be able to get work in the field but it will limit you longer term. I'd suggest doing any required extra study part time while working if possible.

I didn't have much success finding a decent online program, that's not to say they don't exist but there are more masters from what I recall and you need to be carefull to avoid the many 'diploma mills' that turn up in Google searches.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back