Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I would like to know if there is an

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiju

Electrical
Jul 15, 2003
AE
I would like to know if there is any method by which speed of a 120VAC,60Hz,2W,2rpm synchronous motor be changed .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Synchronous motors run at a speed governed by the supply frequency. Therefore to change the speed, you must change the supply frequency.

How far do you want to change the speed, and are you stuck with the synchrounous motor? It is possible to change the speed, but is there an easier solution such as change the motor type?

For such a small load, you should be able to do run the motor from a a small amplifier and a step-up transformer, the amplifier being driven from a variable frequency oscillator circuit.

dear scottyuk/jbartos,

well my idea is to run the synchronous motor at two speeds.we have both 12v/120V 60 Hz ,2/3 W syn motors.
We are thinking of rotating this motor at 6rpm during the first on and after one more on should rotate at 2 rpm synchronosly with the other units connected.The motor is to be controlled using PIC.
Shiju

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back