Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBC 2012 Wind Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garfus

Structural
Oct 4, 2007
US
In the new IBC, base wind loads are given on several maps all with the basic criteria of Exposure C. Does anyone have a reference as to converting those values to Exposure D?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always use ASCE 7 for wind loads (since it's referenced by IBC). The new version (ASCE 7-10) has the following formula for velocity pressure:

qz = 0.00256*Kz*Kzt*Kd*V^2*I

Your Kz factor comes from a table that has different values for each exposure category.

My understanding of the 2012 IBC, which references ASCE 7-10, is that I has been removed. In it's place, there are site specific wind maps, similar to what they have in seismic. There's a link on the internet that gives you wind speeds for zip codes or longitude and latitude. Unfortunately, I don't have that link with me, but it's great. There are different maps for Category I, II and III/IV structures with the wind speeds for III/IV being more than I or II (duh). The other factors (Kz, Kd, etc.) are pretty much the same.
As DCBII and wannabe said, the tables give the factors for different exposures and heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back