Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBC - Stair Guardrail / Handrail Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkGH

Structural
Jul 17, 2008
US
I'm working with a client who had code enforcement tell them their stair handrails needed to be "brought up to code." My interpretation is that any and all modifications need to be made to meet IBC 2009 (current city adopted code). My client thought that just meant adding pickets to create a 4" spacing. I told the client no, the current code says there needs to be a guardrail and handrail. Does anybody agree or disagree with this? As far as I'm reading the code, 1009.12 says plainly handrails are required each side and need to be designed according to 1012. Furthermore 1013.1 says guards are required at stairs and 1013.2 says they need to be 42". This is group R-2 occupancy for exterior public stairs. Therefore the exceptions at 1013.2 do not apply.

Long story short is there is an existing 34" (approximate) steel handrail each side. My plan so far has been to weld on to the existing rail to create a 42" guard and 36" handrail that stays within the 4" allowance per 1012.8.

Feedback is appreciated. Does this all sound correct? I believe I'm interpreting the Code correctly but it's a lot of time and money wasted if I missed something in the Code that could potentially reduce the work. Note that I looked at several developments in my city. One apartment complex just finished has a handrail and a guardrail stair and one development finished a few years ago has a handrail and guardrail. I saw a development today (which got me thinking) that has a handrails with no guard, but later research showed this most likely falls under the 1013.2 exception for interior of R-2 occupancies.

I appreciate your time.

Kirk G Hall, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for those kind of code issues (guardrails versus handrails) and other "interpreting the code" things I have a few architect buddies that help me decipher the meaning. Maybe it's different here in Canada but I was always under the impression that a handrail can act as a guardrail but I've been known to be wrong.

The 34" handrail should be fine, but you will need to accommodate the 42" guardrail requirement.

"Brought to code" generally means brought into compliance with the existing requirements of the code. That can sometimes be different between existing buildings and new construction, depending on the jurisdiction. There is also sometimes a percentage of renovation that triggers full compliance as opposed to partial compliance and allowances for the code under which the building was originally constructed.

Keep in mind; however, guardrails and handrails are generally life safety issues and are usually on the path of egress. Considering this, be conservative.

The two basically do two different things, and you need to think of both while you lay out your options. "Just think! Your government is making things so much cheaper and easier for people to work nowdays aren't they!"

The 42 inch tall guard rail is for people not to go over the top of and fall, and for kids not to go through and get caught in the railing, or climb up and over easily, or go under and get caught between the railing and the deck. So, your biggest criteria is those 4 things plus be able to withstand a 200 lbs sideways force at the 42 inch point. Usually, people apply that 200 lbs force at each of the vertical supports.

The 36 hand rail is NOT intended for people to "not get through" but for a person walking downstairs to always have at least one hand on an available rail 36 inches up from the stair step edge if they fall. That handrail is to start BEFORE the stairs start to go down, it is to be parallel with the rise/run of the stair step edge, and is to end after the stairs flatten out. This flattening is now "expected" by most users, and helps keep them from tripping as the stairs stop and start at platforms.

Usually, the handrail is most convenient right-hand-side-down. Usually, the handrail is attached to the guard rail ironwork or stringers or posts.

(Go to your office stairs/emergency exit, close your eyes as if it were darkened by smoke, and try to feel for the way out. Hard, isn't it?) If your customer can do it, try to put a handrail on both sides. The handrail is best if it doesn't keep starting and stopping at each platform, but continues all the way down - particularly if you can put one on the center of a multi-platform stairs.

Specify that all welds, weld beads, and burrs MUST be ground off and be smooth to the touch. Handrails need to be far enough from walls and protrusions that your hand is NOT caught or trapped by concrete or bolts or ironwork or wood or trim or conduit or pipes or pipe supports .....

One source for confusion is that OSHA doesn't really use the same terminology. I believe that OSHA will let you use a 'stair rail' as a 'guard' on a 100' tall tower as long as it is 36" high. This is actually quite unnerving - give me the 42" or more, please! 36" is a bit high for a handrail which is why the IBC limits it to 34" max (if I am recalling correctly). OSHA is much MUCH more liberal (and so were most codes back 20 years ago). I have been on industrial platforms with 30" stair rails on tall towers. This is not a safe condition.

Is yours a short run? Maybe your fall height is low enough that you don't need a guardrail. If you need the guardrail, then so be it. You will also need to meet the other requirements for graspability, shape, returns at the top and bottom, hand clearance, non-slip, strength, etc for the handrail. It's going to be an expensive fix.

Thanks for the responses guys. Doesn't look like there's any detractors. My supervisor had approved my design already, but I was having second thoughts and am trying to double check everything.

Kirk G Hall, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back