Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ice loads on Piperacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagnete

Structural
Oct 10, 2013
US
We are analyzing an existing piperack up north were freezing rain is possible. If ice loads are considered this greatly increases the gravity load on the structure. ASCE 7 does describe the process to determine the weight on the structure and the load combinations but PIP only addresses that it could be considered.

Has anyone else run across this situation before and if so do they have any suggestions or guidance.

Thanks, Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not a petrochem guideline that considers ice for piperack. This same guideline has snow load for platform and roof. So I guess it's not considered for piperack/pipe supports.

I've considered ice loads from ASCE 7 in the past. Gravity loads increase, but the wind speed decreases. I found that the ice load didn't make a difference in the final design.

There are two very good reference books titled "Wind Loads for Petrochemical and Other Industrial Facilities" and "Guidelines for Seismic Evaluation and Design of Petrochemical Facilities". I do not own a copy of either of these books, but if my memory serves me right I think the first book has a chapter specifically for pipe racks that addresses wind loads and ice loads. Maybe someone can verify this.

namanges

CSA S37 and TIA 222F have the most practical design guidance for ice on structures that I have ever seen. The standards apply to towers, guys, and lattice work so I think it would apply pretty closely to your condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back