Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ice-strengthened joint in Abaqus (with temperature change)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohama

Geotechnical
Jun 3, 2002
GB
Hi
I have to simulate a shear test conducted on a sample containing two pices of rocks with thin layer of ice in-between.

This ice-strengthened joint has high shear strength parameters (i.e. typically C, friction) at low temerature. However, the temperature is not constant (it changes during the test) and consequntly ice tend to change phase at some locations.

Is there any way to simulate this process using Abaqus package? in particular I need to know how possible to change the shear strength parameters with time and water pressure?

thanks for you help answering my question...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you model the ice as a standard material you can of course vary its mechanical properties as a function of temperature. Presumably, that is not enough. Do you have to model stick and slip of the frictional interface between the ice and joint? There is a user subroutine FRIC. I've never used it though.

By the way, in "i.e. typically C, friction)" what is "C"?

MRG

Gwolf and MRG,
Thanks for the comments.

(sory..my reference of 'C' means cohesion).

I think there is no way except to use subroutine. But what is the diffrence between FRIC and UMAT subroutine?

UMAT deals with material properties, FRIC deals with frictional properties, I have a horrible feeling that you may need to use both. This is a whole world of pain!!!

Try thinking about what's really happening physically in your analysis, you may find that it is possible to model the important effects using the more conventional ABAQUS properties rather than a sophisticated approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back