Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICE Thermodynamics @.Thermal barrier gold plating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnia Engines

Automotive
Nov 17, 2017
AU
Hi Eng-Tips,I'm a retired Marine Engineer who's back to back dyno Eng test experiment showed heat loss reduction >20% and 6.8% Hp increase via 24K gold plated combustion space surfaces, B&S Intek Si Eng.
The question is efficiency improvement,is this quantifiably attributed to increased Entropy, Exergy, or both.
Does this imply a new Heat Transfer Model required,that describes improved ICE efficiency limit.
Regards and thanks.
Arthur Buggee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Restate your problem again please. It's too terse a phrasing for me to figger it out. 8<)

I think you have two back-to-back dynometers, but are you testing the difference from the one with a goldplate chamber and the one without?

Hi racookpe1978,ok,is pedantry towards another member a flag item?. I suffer from dyslexia and get a lot of things back to front literally;sorry, please exchange dyno with Eng in my above text.I'm a none academic Engineer looking for theoretical assistance developing a new and innovative concept that reduces heat loss and increases thermal efficiency of ICEs.

"The question is efficiency improvement,is this quantifiably attributed to increased Entropy, Exergy, or both."

Well, assuming your numbers are correct you have increased exergy (work done by the system), so entropy (losses) must have correspondingly been reduced.

Internal combustion engines add energy to the ultimate end (crankshaft) by expanding hot gasses in a piston: That expansion pushes a piston that turns the crankshaft, which also increases volume inside the piston which lowers pressure and allows the gasses to cool. The forces pushing the piston down are increased by burning a flammable mixture inside the piston at high pressure.

SO, to improve efficiency you'd need to reduce thermal losses, reduce friction and inertia between all of the moving parts, increase the peak pressure and peak temperature of the hot gasses, reduce the outlet pressure and temperature, or some measure of all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back