IcePak - Pressure Drop and Fan Operating Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyH

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2013
GB
Good Day,

I was wondering if there were any icepak user here that could help.

Is it possible (and how do you do it) to give the pressure drop of a system (An electronics enclosure containing a heatsink, heat sources, grill inlet and exhaust fan for example), and also to give the operating point on the fan curve?

Many thanks
Rusty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In icepak you create the fan and input the fan curve, an output of the simulation would be the operating point of the fan. You can force a certain flow rate or pressure drop using inlets or grills but if you are modeling the whole system including the fan why not let the simulation determine the operating point?

Thanks for your reply hendersdc.

Yes, I understand that the fan will operate at its operating point base on the pressures induced by the system, but how to I plot that figure? How do I say, ?the simulation results show that the fan is operating at XX CFM and XX InH2O?

Rusty, Sorry that I misunderstood the question. Under the "reports" menu there is an option to display fan operating points:

1_hngzrf.png

This will give you the values that will look like this:

2_gypjgj.png

You can then plot that on the fan curve manually to see where your operating point is. This picture does not match the values in the table but shows how I have indicated it in reports in the past:

3_atpncu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back