Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ICF bearing detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Got a question about ICF details. I know the answer, but just want to get others thoughts. First floor bearing on ICF wall, 15" nominal (2.5" insul each side). Deck framing into outside. Detail as shown below. They have a taper option for bearing. Contractor wants to do left, I want to do right. I cant convince myself left would be ok in any scenario.

Opinions?

ICF_wall_options_n1rcwb.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you run the ICF wall straight up to the underside of the sheathing. This might be better for lateral restraint. Also, I'd use a 2x6 wall beneath.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I have less concerns if this were on the other side, i.e. truss bearing side.

On this side, I may be with Dik in bringing the top of ICF up and then you could look at using Simpson ICF-VL hangers or something similar for supporting the deck.

Contractor/owner doesnt want to bring ICF up to floor bearing for some reason. Perhaps this will convince htem to do that.

jayrod12, what would be the issue on the bearing side, there the load is all transferred thru the trusses. They have them detailed at 4.5" bearing I believe.

I said I wouldn't be concerned with the bearing side, because you have something far more robust there to fasten into. You could have the truss supplier provide a 2 ply or 3 ply end vertical to allow for adequate anchorage and the truss could easily be designed to support the load of the deck and cantilever over the insulation.

If they don't want to bring it all the way up, what about bringing it up until it's a 2x8 (or 2x10) short of the sheathing and then ladder framing it out with 2x8 blocking with hangers to the first interior truss.

Thanks everyone. They are going to do the taper pour in the top of the wall. They didnt realize that the form system had a "top block" to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back