Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ID 3-phase ammeter? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsck

Electrical
Apr 27, 2010
US
I found a 4.25" three-phase ammeter at a hamfest today, and bought it for a song.

Unlike much of the things I buy, I have an immediate use for this.

It has 7-segment displays for all three phases, some alarm limits & will show neutral current. It mounts in 3.97" circular hole. It's got a label with pinout & E142921 noted. It seems to run on DC of unstated voltage.

The controls are labeled C|N, Max/Min|Limits, Print|Prog &Set.

What it lacks is a name or model number of any kind. Does anyone recognize it from the photos here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good question. I have a client who likes their products, so I recognized it right away.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

It looks like a great gadget. If it works, it will go to good use.

First I'll need to figure out which power supply option it has....

Remember, these things are made for CT inputs, so for direct use the inputs are probably rated for five amps.

And they're common as mud in utility substations around here.

old field guy

They will take 5A but there's also scaling for lesser values.

But I'll need to figure out the needed PS first; it can be 125V AC/DC, 24-48VDC, 120AC or 230VAC. A little circuit/component analysis should resolve that.

After minor analysis, I decided it was the 120Vac powered version {the inputs led to half the primary of a stepdown xfmr; and the only AC options in TFM were 120 & 240.}, powered it up, and fed it some currents.

It works as represented and looks pretty, too. I can see why alehman's clients like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back