Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I'd really like to see this forum grow a little...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
I'd really like to see this forum grow a little...
I wonder if it'd be possible to contact existing Alibre users and invite them to stop by and participate.
Gee - if only one of us could get an e-mail out to these people - hint hint.

tatej [sub][idea][/sub] usfilter.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a Yahoo Group established for Alibre. Most of the users go to that one.

This forum started because some of the members were frustrated with all the advertisements through Yahoo. Within that thread, I mentioned that I would get an Alibre group started here at eng-tips. Since this inception, I have not gone back to the Yahoo groups to tell them this is up and running. I feel that would be considered advertising and I don't except those types of posts here, I'm not going to be the one spreading them elsewhere.

ScottfromAlibre stops by here. I've seen him post once. The problem with this site is that Alibre controls and moderates the Yahoo groups. Yahoo also allows for binary posting and surveys; something that Alibre takes advantage of. I also heard, from the Yahoo group, the Alibre is planning on hosting their own forum/newsgroup.

Sadly, even the Yahoo group has few posts/day. Since this is a "secondary" resource, it is doubtful we will see that many. Likewise, when Alibre starts their own newsgroup, this site will probably see less, unless the newsgroup is restricted to maintenance users like Solid Edge has with their newsgroup. Then, this forum will probably pick up as non-maintenance people look for a free forum.

The best way to see this forum grow is to tell your friends about it and post more questions and answers here.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, the Round Table recommends FAQ731-376

That's funny - I e-mailed Alibre's tech support and told them about this forum - a few weeks ago - I think.
So, maybe I helped you instigate this.
I'll have to check out the Yahoo forumn.
Mostly I'm looking for unbiased opinions - not really concerned where I get them.

I'm gonna get this package and develop a side-biz too.
Let's keep each other informed of our success.
I doubt that we could consider each other as competition - maybe we could even combine our efforts and land larger projects.
Just a thought...

As long as you are not in the desert Southwest, USA, I may be interested in combining efforts. Thing is, I'm waiting to get my PE before that happens and I don't take the test until April. Results come about 3 months later. So my side-biz is not going to get off the ground any time soon, although I'm gaining contacts as we speak.

As far as Alibre is concerned, my main reason for opening up a lot of dialogue is to keep up to date with changes to the software. I haven't even downloaded the 30 day trial yet because I don't plan on buying the software for 6 months to 1 year. I'm sure they'll have another release by then and I want to demo that one. Now, if I knew I could use the 30 day demo twice, I would get it right now.

I'm also a little worried about the potential for the price to increase. As their program begins to match the other mainstream packages feature for feature, there is no reason their price won't also. If it hits that US$4000 mark, I'm out of luck for a side-biz. If I buy now and maintenance stays at roughly half price, I still can't afford the US$2000 yearly unless I work my butt off to cover the cost.

--Scott

I had an email from Scott, regarding some of my issues with Alibre, a couple of weeks ago (my old contact has left - for now). It seems that v6.1 (or v6.2) will be the next release for this year and v7 for the new year. In the correspondance it was hinted that 3D wireframe functionality would be added in v7, which will add a new perspective as far as I am concerned. As for cost, not to undercut Alibre but shop around - I found Engineering.com used to sell the product at about $100 less than Alibre did, don't know whether this is still true.
I upgraded to the pro version earlier this year and whilst I find Alibre excellent I don't think the additional modules have been worth the expense.

Don't assume you only get 1 30 day trial.
I got 2 back-to-back.
You just have to ask nicely - I bet you'd have no problem.

It's sad that we're all belly-aching about the $$$.
Lat's assume:
$2000 - PC
$1000 - Alibre PRO
$100 - (wild guess) business licensing & fees
$100 - web page

$3200 ain't bad to start-up a small business.

I'm as guilty as the next poor bum.

Yeah, I should complain about the cost. It just that the "down payment" on a business comes out of my home mortgage.

Then again, the price sure beats
$2000 for base PC + $2000 for high end graphics card
$5000 for midrange CAD - FEA ability

Total price = $9000 for a one man shop not including business license and fees.

--Scott

Think of it as an investment. [lol]
Heck - it'll probably pay itself. [rofl2]
The maintenance fees will just be inclded in your bids.[rofl3]
It'll be like playing on a free PC, not like work at all. [rofl]

I could do with finding some work for it though, any suggestions?. On the cost side I built my Workstation for running the home business, it cost $2000 Canadian, not bad for a dual processor 2.4GHz system, however I do need a new graphics card.

TateJ;

Could I ask your opinion on SWX vs. Alibre -- as independent, the program cost is critical (am currently using SW's 90 day (renewable) personal learning edition), and since I am just starting to learn SW as, this would be the ideal time to switch;

From ground zero, for the purpose of general mechanical design and product development, which program would you recommend (as learning investment)?

Thanks

It's been a while since I did my trial version & I never bought the program. I still believe if/when I start-up a side business - this would be the package I'd buy. I really like SolidWorks, but the cost makes my sphincter hurt. In today's marketplace - I'd have to decide what the majority of my clients are gonna want as a final product. Make sure you can produce exactly that with Alibre - refering to the file format. If you can compete with Alibre - get it. Unfortunately, with the increasing capabilities of newer releases - the price will climb. But - at least for now - you get plenty of bang for your buck.

Good luck with your business.
BTW - What will you produce?

TateJ

Mechanical product/mechanism development, as contract engineer, or on spec in areas I see as commercially interesting providing I can come up with feasible concepts (embodied in functional prototypes I wouuld construct, based on formal designs I would make)(which is my reason for looking into solid modelers). As contract engineer I would rely on designers to do the heavy duty designs in enterprises, however, for myself, I need to be my own designer (as well as modelmaker, etc.). Since design is just another capability in this sense, it makes sense to look for minimum cost both in $'s and learning/maintenance time/effort. SW worries me -- seems to require much learning to avoid pits, plus significant cash to get into and maintain. Is SW worth all this, or would Alibre do just fine?? that is the question!

I will say that for any given 3d model - there are as many different ways to model it, as there are designers looking at it - multiplied by the number of different CAD packages you have in house. You think that SolidWorks has "pits" - true - but I'm sure Alibre has them too.

If you're going to be engineering stuff - maybe you need to think about finite element analysis too. I don't know if Alibre can do that. SolidWorks can do the basics right out of the box - more with add-ons.

If you get the Pro or Expert version of Alibre, it comes with Algor's Design Check FEA software.

Alibre is also somewhat integrated (I use that term loosely) with Algor in that Algor now prefers Alibre as the geometry creation tool. They still have superdraw, but most tasks are performed by Alibre. So, in short, yes Alibre does have FEA capability out of the box.

"Pits" - That term will have to be more closely defined in order to compare with other software. In general, if pits means crashing and instability, I haven't come across that in Alibre that wasn't hardware related and wasn't easy to fix. For example, I would crash when I had Netscape and Alibre open and I found out it was because my graphics card and NIC were using the same IRQ. Once I moved my NIC to a different slot so a new IRQ was automatically assigned, no more crashing.

If pits refers instead to feature creation or workarounds, then yes Alibre has those. It is a young software so all the bells and whistles aren't there to make feature creation SUPER easy. BUT, there isn't anything I can do in SW or SE that I can't do in Alibre. Then again, I do mostly tool design (machined parts). If I were doing a lot of mold work or consumer product design with swoopy surfaces, then I will have to wait a release or 2 for Alibre to catch up. But again, what some people consider a work around, others consider technique so it really depends on your specific point of view.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

I've also thought about starting a side business and using Alibre. I'll hold off purchasing a program until I have a job lined up to pay for it, however. A company that already uses a specific CAD package internally will want any contract design work done in the same package. Chances are, that won't be Alibre.

Alibre would be a good choice if your client hasn't made the switch to 3D yet. In the last year, I interviewed at two companies that were still using AutoCAD 2D. It's hard for the managers there to swallow the $5000+ price of a SolidWorks and annual update contracts that cost more than Alibre itself does. You may be able to sell Alibre as well as your services. Alibre has a reseller program.

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

The reseller program is only for international customers. In the US, Alibre sells direct, but we do have the refer-a-friend program.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thank you for your insight.

We as professionals have to earn $100/hour everytime we leave the house, or we must get into a secure situation where we have a vested interest in the corporation or the g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back