Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IDEA - Knee Connection - Connecting Plate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

X4vier

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2018
CO
I typically refer as connecting Plate, the plate that replaces the inner flange of the members that has the knee on it. In the image below, the rafter, but usually the column.

2015_09_02_11_36_403_ipqyvq.png

I'm trying to model that connection plate, using a stiffening plate parallel to the inner flange, and then cut the member with that plate but the cut function doesn't weld the edge of the connecting plate to the edge of the inner flange. Even trying to add the edge-to-edge weld doesn't work.

2015_09_02_11_36_403_frkkpd.png

Any idea how to weld these edges?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you using Tekla? Have you tied Tekla User Assistance?
Usual practice, supported by long experience, is for the connection to be made in the rafter.
As a structural engineer I say the detailing is a disaster. Can you discuss this with an experienced structural engineer?

Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang
Ooo eee ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang

I just took the tekla images from web to show the issue with IDEA.

How can I add a connecting plate to replace a flange in IDEA?

I'd just do a V-groove CJP weld. I wouldn't normally use little gussets... I use a thicker plate.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I presumed he was, but it wasn't clear.

As an IdeaStatica user this connection does seem like a headache. But really this question would be better asked of Ideastatica helpdesk assuming the poster has a legitimate copy of the software.

But as others have said, the connection looks like a nightmare that can almost certainly be done more cheaply and easier.

It is posts like this that make me question my defence of IdeaStatica last week when it was claimed that this sort of software was a black box of danger.

Yes, sorry, I'm referring to IDEAStatica.
I have contacted the helpdesk and will post their answer if that resolves the connecting plate weld.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back