Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideal stainless for Section VIII, Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnG_Engr

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2017
US
Engineering Tips Community,

I have an application for a Section VIII, Division 2 vessel using stainless. My background Div2 is carbon steel and I know that some of these are better than others for Division 2. What high-yield stainless steels are readily available for Div 2?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the criteria? strength? creep? temp rating? corrosion resistance? price?
There is a long list.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Application will be a food environment such as one would use a 316 or 304 steel in. Design temp is 300 F. No creep.

Must be compatible with 304/316. I'm looking for both a forging and plate application (SA-182 & SA-240?). It must be readily available due to small quantities and reasonable delivery. Pricing must be reasonable for stainless.

Why is high YS a criterion? The 300 series are not particularly good at that. Duplex SS (e.g. 2205) has excellent strength, is compatible metallurgically (i.e., welding), and offers enhanced corrosion resistance.

OnG_Engr said:
Pricing must be reasonable for stainless.

That is a thing of the distant past. And it became worse after Covid; now the entire economy essentially operates on a black market basis.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Read Part 3.2 and Annex 3A in ASME Sec VIII Div 2 that give the rules for permitted materials and allowable stress values to be used under this division. you will find a list of different grades of SS.
ASME Codes are not a design handbook. Material selection is Owner responsibility, which is usually done by an EPC with Owners approval.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back