Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDEAS for Nissan North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwheelguy

Automotive
Mar 17, 2004
US
We are looking into using IDEAS to satisfy supplier requirements for Nissan North America. Anyone out there currently dealing with Nissan AND using IDEAS? Some questions I have are:

-Which modules or bundles (modeling, freeform/surfacing, drafting, assemblies, translators) are recommended? We manufacture aluminum wheels & currently do SOME Class A surfacing in other softwares. Nissan's math will be originating in Alias, btw.

-What version of IDEAS is Nissan requiring suppliers to use?

-Is PDM required?

-Are there any custom Nissan programs that are required (like GM's Supplier Toolkit or Honda's CATIA environment)?

-Given the above software bundle, how much does IDEAS cost along with monthly maintenance?

-Any minimum system requirements for workstations?

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can give.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought NX4 was suppossed to be the last of the separate Ides/UG releases. What is the latest UGS release schedule for a combined, single product?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I never did see an "official" statement saying either. After a PLM World teleconference with several IDEAS users in attendance late last year, there was major concern that most IDEAS users wouldn't migrate until NX 5 at the earliest because UG was lacking so many things IDEAS users insisted upon having.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

We manufacture seatbelts for the Automotive industry. About 2 months ago Nissan forced us to use I-Deas. They would no longer accept translated files. So we had to get an I-Deas station and get 2 people trained.

We were told by Nissan to use I-Deas Version 10. I am almost certain we got all the modules as well (FEA, Simulation, etc) I haven't had much time to play around with the software though. Too busy sending Nissan data!

One of the greatest features is to be able to import/export files easily between Unigraphics and I-Deas. I have been working on UGNX2 for the past year.....so this has eased the transition to I-Deas for me. Although I still have a lot to learn in I-Deas.

Marina M.
Designer, Platform Engineering
Quality Safety Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back