Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDEAS Symbols 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnour

Mechanical
May 6, 2003
US
We are switching to UG from IDEAS within the next couple of weeks. I was wondering if we can use our library of symbols we have made over the years in IDEAS in UG. I.E. can we use symbols we used in IDEAS in the sketcher of UG to produce models? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the symbols 2D geometry or 3D geometry? If they're just 2D geometry (like symbols used on drawings) then just export them as a DXF or IGES from I-deas & then import them into UG. Putting the curves into a sketch is optional, as UG isn't a required sketch-based modeler.

If the symbols are 3D, then you'll probably still have to export them somehow from I-deas & import into UG (there is some sort of I-deas to UG exchange, but I am not familiar with it). After getting them into UG, User Defined Features might be what you're looking for in terms of 3D geometry.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Thanks nkwheelguy
It is 2D geometry. I want to be able to use them in making a sketch to extrude. We have various connections we use to make copper coils. These connections are unique and redrawing them would be a real pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back