Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Idelchik Handbook of Hydraulic Resistance 3rd Edition Diagram 8-5 Equation for Zeta Phi 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR5FLOW

Industrial
May 3, 2019
US
thread378-452903
For Zeta Phi in Idelchik 3rd Edition diagram 8-5, do not use the equation from the book
Idelchik8.5ZetaPhiFromBook_uxvjoe.png

I'm still looking for an equation that has output that matches the data in the table.

Thank you Latexman. I do not know how to check for errata from the publisher. I've tried to contact one of the last people that may have contributed to the later editions, but I did not receive a response.

Thank you for taking a look IRstuff, but Zeta Phi is only required for the resistance coefficient equation for the 30<Re<10^4-10^5 range, and of course most of my flows occur in that range. For Re<10 and 10<Re<30, Zeta Phi is not required. The paragraph that begins with "where Zeta Phi = f1(Re,F1/F0)...." applies to all three resistance coefficient equations, but Zeta Phi is only in the resistance coefficient equation (1.) for the 30<Re<10^4-10^5 range.

That reminds me, the 4th edition is missing the Re values. I found these column headers in the original edition.
Idelchik8.5ZetaPhi-corrected-table_qoh2fu.png

For now I use the table from the original edition, but it would be nice if there was an equation for it. It is pretty difficult to make one equation for this table. Is anyone up for the challenge? It is beyond my mathematical abilities.

I did not find any errata on Begell House's website after doing a search.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Thank you pierreick. I'll have to do some research on this. It is difficult because the graphs of the curves look like graph in the book. I can't make a curve-fit equation that would combine the data for each fbar row.

Thanks for looking for the errata on Begell House's website Latexman.

Thanks for responding IRstuff. Yes, that's part of the problem. The 4th edition doesn't have headings for that table. Notice how there are two EpsilonBar0Re rows in the table just above the Zeta Phi table in the 4th edition. Here is the page from the original edition.
Idelchik8.2ZetaPhi-old_k8ddkw.png

IR, the third row is labeled Re too, so what up with that? 22 values/columns of Re in the top 4 rows, but the table is only 12 columns. Idk, but somethings wrong somewhere.

Good Luck,
Latexman

IR, the third row is labeled Re too, so what up with that? 22 values/columns of Re in the top 4 rows, but the table is only 12 columns. Idk, but somethings wrong somewhere.

Yes, I see that now; sorry for the confusion; I've edited my posts above. The English translation of the Russian text shows the same Diagram 8.2

link to PDF, but the quality is pretty poor. I would definitely go with importing the data into Excel and try a data fit, although you could possibly digitize the graph a from the text

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If it is of any interest, there are simpler correlations for dp across square mesh screens and perforated plates in the chapter on Fluid and Particle Dynamics in Perry Chem Engg Handbook ( 6th or 7th editions)- I have used this with reasonable results.

Thanks pierreick, I'll try the equation from FAO (Kirschmer's formula) and compare it to Idelchik and CFD results. I'll also check out the excel functions linest and logest.

Thank you georgeverghese, I can look at Perry via ASME. I'll check that out too and compare it to Kirchmer's formula, Idelchik 8.5 (with the 8.2 original table for Zeta Phi), and CFD.

Hi Mr5flow,
I believe you are the one who gave me stars for this thread , I don't understand why the stars given for the previous answers on this post were removed .
I probably don't understand how it works , not a big deal as long you are satisfied with my replies.
Pierre

I believe that you can only get one star per thread. So, if you get a second star it moves to the most recent post.

Thanks Compositepro. pierreick, Yes, I'm generous with my stars for this thread because I am so happy that people are actually looking at the problem this year. I didn't realize the previous stars get removed. In that case, I'll put the star on the most helpful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back