Identifying a JIS spline - Yamaha R6

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Unter

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2024
CA
Hey all,
I'm trying to identify a JIS spline off a Yamaha R6 output shaft.
Below are some basic spline specs which I was able to measure, I have also attached a photo of the female spline profile.

13 spline
Major Diameter - ~24.7mm
Minor Diameter - ~21.0mm (difficult to accurately measure due to odd number of splines)

I can provide more measurements if needed.
If anyone would be able to help identify which JIS spline spec this is, it would be greatly appreciated.
End goal of this would be to get a DXF and EDM the spline profile.
Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c01da216-0c0e-40ba-9b4b-0e13b1bf095a&file=sprocket.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

D Unter
my recommendation is take to a gear shop and run an unknown gear or spline program. and will make it sure of the correct pitch and pressure angle. have them chart it. if it is correct it will have a straight involute minus wear.

I would do that but unfortunately the closest gear shop is 4 hours away. I was hoping someone had the JIS standards that could help me out. Thanks

Is this for the transmission output shaft, where the front sprocket is? No idea on the standard but a whole bunch of Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki bikes all use the same spline. I just checked a random sprocket in the shop, and the dimensions check out. I have the sprocket here.

What are you trying to do? Front sprockets are cheap, from lots of aftermarket sources already. Towards the end of when I was racing a FZR400, I was ordering Suzuki GSXR front sprockets, because the FZR had disappeared from parts catalogs, but the gixxer sprockets fit and work just fine. Sometimes you have to double-up the wavy washers to get the alignment correct and have the nut clamp it properly.

Hey Brian, that is correct. I am trying to manufacture an output shaft that will be connected to an electric motor, so end goal is to get the profile into a CAD model. It is a pretty common spline but I haven't been able to find anything online as to which profile it is.

I can probably get those dimensions in a couple days. It seems like the module might be 1.667, pressure angle seems close to 30 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back