Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDI diesel efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dootdootdoot

Electrical
Sep 11, 2006
US
Aside from turbocharging, I've seen pumping losses in and out of the precombustion chamber, and thermal losses into the cylinder head mentioned as the main culprits behind the disparity in efficiency. But... I've never seen any quantification of which does what, and I was wondering if anyone has. I was thinking, it'd be cheaper to take an old idi diesel, ceramically coat the precombustion chamber, and turbocharge it, to get 9/10ths of the engine efficiency for 1/5th the money.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This has been discesed on the forums quite a bit. One thing is the shape of the pre-chanber and size varances on the same head. We have also talked about making a insert to make the size of the pre-chamber. out put port and cost factors. Several people were working on this exact thing. Cermaic coating the pre-chambers- the whole combustion side of the head, the piston where the combustion chamber area is. I have not been there in a while If you want to search look for posts by Giles, fspGTD
malone, and redrotors(site admin so watch out as he has billions and billions of stars, opps posts)D) and 1.6 td, you may have to try several differnt serch terms. There will be more talk on this than you will want to read at several sittings I have some pre-chamber posted here about this here IDI vs TDI and electronic fuel injection for older diesels or something like that. the best I can remember right now.
No engineers that I know of, but a ton of VW IDI, TDI and several other good ones

Richard

Talk about a small internet, that's where I found the info originally... I've read the posts on modifying a VNT turbo for the 1.6l and some of the pre-chamber talk, but I'm guessing I haven't even scratched the surface. I'll continue searching, and if you could post any pertinent links you may have that'd be great.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back