Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

If you weren't an engineer, what would you be? 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoPuntzJones

Materials
Oct 27, 2005
US
I've been thinking about this recently. Not because I am unhappy with engineering, but because so many other things also sound so interesting to me.

I'd like to hear from the rest of you. If you had to pick another career, what would you choose?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A high school aptitude test said I should be a tree surgeon. Now I'm thinking more along the lines of kept husband.

I almost chose to pursue a PhD in history to work as a college professor. Liberal arts undergrad degrees are not the path to financial stability.

After my first semester I decided that engineering wasn't for me. So I started testing for the local PD and Fire departments. I had my EMT cert, was a rescue diver and was in great physical shape (still am [wink]). I went through eight months of testing to finally realize that for every open position their was 500+ applicants. I even knew the Sac County Fire Chief but that didn't help me. I got an offer for a non paid stop at the PD academy with no employment afterwards. That next semester I reenrolled in engineering and never looked back.

Beggar,
One of my college classmates/teammates is the new lead for the Blue Angels, great work if you can get it. He's presently commanding a squadron of F-18s out of Atsugi, Japan, Kittyhawk
Regards,
RLS

Heavy Equipment Operator (tower crane or a CAT D10 bull dozer) -
You leave at the end of each day with no carry-over worries about meetings, reports, etc. At the end of each job you have proof that you actually did something constructive.

hmm.. since i'm not actually an engineer i'm not sure if i qualify for this thread but i'll bite. if i could go back to school now i'd probably do architecture, or culinary arts..hey, maybe i'll go back to school to do that since engineering seems to be out of the question now..

metengr - that's a good one. I chose that in 9th grade but never followed through. Although, when I was in the Air Force I did get the opportunity to operate a frontend loader and a 60K-loader slinging 463L pallets off of C130s. Their is something about being behind the controls of a large piece of equipment....power, control, & prestige. Kind of like my current job....the power of moving a mouse around a 8"x8" PAD of neoprene [wink]

I would be an explosives demolition technician. If I cant build it, I might as well take it apart, besides, it would fill my Pyro tendancies quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back