Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGES files not recognised by Ansys 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

simal

Automotive
Dec 9, 2002
GB
I'm new to Ansys and have been working through the workbook examples with Ansys 5.4. I'm trying to complete Example 3 "Import of Solid Models" but despite following the instructions Ansys doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of the two iges files (nofeature.ige and features.ige) that are given with the Ansys installation. The 'import IGES files' dialogue box shows empty even if in the correct directory. I've checked that the files are there but don't know what else to do. Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are right - my mistake. It seems that IGES files should be *.igs or *.iges. In fact the files supplied on the ANSYS installation disc are *.iges so the problem still stands.

What is even more peculiar is that if the files are contained on a floppy on the my a: drive then then dialogue box acknowledges their existence as files but still fails to read them. I get an error message which says that 'File ******.*** does not exist. Please check the file name.' and another, separate dialogue box which says 'IGES command ignored'. If these files contained on floppy are copied to the hard drive then occasionally Ansys will acknowledge them but will always fail to open them. Is there something peculiar about different version of Ansys or are there options which need to be selected in order to read IGES files?

I appear to have solved the issue but without knowing why. I moved the relevant IGES files further up the directory structure (towards the root directory) and ANSYS was then able to load them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back