Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGES import & drawing display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike97D

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2005
US
I have some IGE files from a customer to add to my assembly.

I've tried two different methods of importing:
1. use the open tab and open the iges file
2. use my start part and import it in

Using both methods, the part comes in as a wireframe and shades fine in model mode, but when I bring it up in my drawing, it doesn't show as a hidden in certain views as it should, it stays a wireframe.

Did I miss a config option to import as a solid?

I'm using WF2.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've done some searching and what my ProE Guru tells me is that if the model is exported as a wireframe, I'll only be able to import as a wireframe.

I could add surfaces to make the part solid, but in this case it will be easier for me to just recreate the part in sheetmetal.

If it shades in part mode you have surfaces. The problem is you have gaps in the surfaces so it is not solidifying, that is why you don't get hidden lines in the drawing. The easiest solution is to use STEP instead of IGES. If you only have IGES you will have to redefine the import feature & try to fix the geometry. There are several different tools depending on what release of Pro/E you are using.

Thanks for the info.

I'm using Wildfire 2.0 and all I have to work with are the iges files.

I've tried to "Edit Definition" on the import feature and it gives me the message when I try to manipulate the surfaces: Surface manipulation is not available for selected surface.

There was something in the help files that stated something about changing the meshing of the export iges files to reduce gaps, but I'm importing.

The color of the edges tells you what kind of geometry you have. Surfaces that have not solidified are purple and one sided surface edges are yellow.

Select the import feature, RMB/Edit Definition. You have two choices at this point:

Edit/Feature Properties.

Geometry/Heal Geometry/Manual. You have several options, see the help section on these. You may have to run some of them like Zip Gaps more than once. Good luck.

I cannot have access to the Geometry/Heal Geo......

I am still block with "surface manipulation not available...."

Could you be more precise ? I am becoming crazy :)

Tchuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back