Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGES import problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankzheng

Automotive
Oct 21, 2003
CA
Hi,everyone,

I try to import an IGES file (from UG) to CATIA v5.There are about 250 surfaces. When I try to join the surfaces together,I got a error message:
" Join operation aborted on invalid elements. Input elements Surfaces.200, Surface.221 have serveral self-intersecting edges."

I am beginer of CATIA V5. Is there someone can explain this and help me to solve it? Thanks in advance.

By the way, can you recommend me some other CATIA resources expect this wonderful website?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi there,

I had a similar problem before and tried the following (bear in mind I was a beginner as well):-
1) Import an unfilleted model to simplify matters - Didn't work
2) Import the IGES and try to manually stitch it together - Didn't work.
3) Import a partial model (i.e if it's symmetrical model, import half) with the intention of stiching the section and then mirror it - Didn't work
...and finally....
4) Import the full, filleted, model as a STEP file - WORKED PERFECTLY 1st Time.

The problem is, IGES is an elderly standard and isn't quite up to today's 3D solids. STEP is a newer stndard and is therefore more likely to succeed.

Thanks,Bristolmick. Yes, the STEP file works well.
I still have a question.With imported STEP file, is it possible to keep the original parameter. I mean, for example, can I modify the depth or angle of a V-slot in a imported STEP file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back