Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have someone experiance with converting datas between
Catia V5 and IGES????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Algonic!

I have used Catia V5R4 and V5R5 in school and found the Iges translator did not work well. It could not read the Iges data back to Catia. I had no possibility to try to read any other program written Iges data, it might work better.
Did you have some kind of problems?

When I worked with CATIA, I remember requiring a special directory that I had to send the files to in order for the translation to work properly. The folder set up was CADTRANS. I do not know if this was a limitation to the UNIX system, user settings, CATIA settings, or what. I just called our CATIA/IT person and told him I was having problems with translating CAD data in neutral file formats and he told me to try converting my file into that particular directory. I had to use this directory (rather than my "home" directory) for all conversions: iges, step, etc.

Sorry this doesn't solve your problem, but it may give you a direction to look.

I also have the same problem converting proe .igs files to Catia V5R6 with Windows2000 operating system. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi

You have to contact proe to get a convetor. I did it under CATIA4 and I have to get a convertor from them first. If you contact proe, they have a help for it.

Hadi

Algonic,

Are you trying to generate an IGES from a SOLID?
IGES does not support solids, except SOLID-M (not all)
in V4. You have to create a volume to get Surfaces in
order to transfer anything.

I understand the STEP translator works better than IGES.
Did you try that?

Ciao,

Skip

Hello All,
I'm currently working with Catia V5.7, and have created a CATProduct file which I would like exported in IGES format. Unfortunately, I am unable to save in this format even though it says in the manual that I am able to. Basically, nothing happens... no save takes place. I open the CATProduct file, go to "save as" and change the extension to ".igs" and nothing happens when I save. I have successfully saved CATPart files as IGES files but not with CATProduct... does anyone know why? Or what I have to do to go about doing this?
Thanks,
Gilly

Hello everybody,

Gilly, your problem is a known bug of CATIA, it was fixed
I think with CATIA V5.7 Serive Pack 4 or 5. Anyway, the way around is to disable the export panel : go to Tools/Options/Compatibility/Iges : disable the export windows. you will be able to export. However, you will still encounter problems with the orientation of the different parts of the model, this is another known bug fixed in CATIA V5.8.
The STEP translator works better and it does indeed import solids but it is way more expensive !!! (the STEP license is darn high !). Some CAD systems like the ones used in the mold industries still work with IGES, so it is important to have a good IGES translator.
Anyway the IGES translator of CATIA is still improving, it is still not at the best level but i've noticed a lot of improvements lately. If you are not satisfied with the product, feel free to contact IBM to complain, the license price is high enough !
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back